Huntmoore

22N December Bull?

Hey guys! Getting pumped to help a buddy on his first ever hunt...he's got the 22N Dec. 2-8 bull tag. We'll be in a cabin in Mead Ranch for this one, but I know that the elk will have been pressured a ton by then (especially after the Nov. 25th tags are in there). We've scouted and I've hunted earlier hunts in there before, but this Dec. hunt is a new beast for me. Curious if anyone has had this tag and what they experienced as far as finding elk? How much will weather matter? Any advice would be appreciated...we've got a good amount of help, not afraid to walk or glass (the hunter is current army and in great shape, so he's willing to work...and he's not looking for a monster for his first. I'd LOVE to be able to have him wrap his tag on something!)

Thanks guys!

Well you hit the nail on the head, walk, glass, great shape and willing to work. That can be a tough hunt, I would look for places where there are elk about 2 to 3 miles from the road or more, that keeps most of the hunters at bay. Very steep or deep canyons are also a plus, so is water in your chosen location. When you find elk in these locations early on, more elk show up as the migration starts. The last bull I took in that unit I found at the end of Sept. along with two giants (which diapered) in a remote location, watched them right up until the first hunt and shot my my bull within 20 minutes of legal shooting light. Good luck!

• Like 1

Good luck huntmoore. I have the same unit but starting this Friday. I'm new to this forum. My first elk hunt and ill be soloing. I can pass along any information i get during my hunt to you.

• Like 1

My sons have the hunt starting Friday.

Done some scouting the past few weeks.... finding bulls nothing big, but we will shoot the first legal bull we see.

• Like 1

Same for me. 1st one in my range and legal ill be going for. Its going to be rough with all the recent rain. Going to be muddy lol.

• Like 1

My sons have the hunt starting Friday.

Done some scouting the past few weeks.... finding bulls nothing big, but we will shoot the first legal bull we see.

I leave in the morning as an assistant on a late bull hunt for my brother from another mother. Sometimes circumstances allow you to manipulate the first Bull the hunter sees. I'm happy either way. It's his first elk hunt, I want him to have a good time and great memories. Good luck to all the elk hunters heading out for the late season, especially the young hunters and first timers.

• Like 2

Good luck Huntmore

I'll be heading out to 7E weds night

By the way this is a awesome site I thought I was realy obsessed with elk hunting until I found this site, here I'm just a newbie ha ha

I have this hunt too! Looking forward to it. Unfortunately this weekend is my only time to scout. I guess I will see where all the action is at.

• Like 1

Good luck guys! I had the dec hunt and my dad had the turkey day hunt last year and it was tough.

Keep moving and stay away from the crowds lots of bulls in there but they hide real well.

Good luck guys! I had the dec hunt and my dad had the turkey day hunt last year and it was tough.

Keep moving and stay away from the crowds lots of bulls in there but they hide real well.

It is amazing quickly the large elk can disappear in the terrain....i was glassing 3 smaller bulls and knew they where there.... then they would get "lost" to only show back up like magic

We have the same hunt, should be a blast! 7 days in the woods chasing elk, can't ask for much more than that. We've scouted some but they will get pushed all over and deeper on this weekends hunt. Just look at the map for a place that would make you say 'I'd hate to pack a bull out of there', that's where you'll find him. Good luck to all, stay safe and shoot straight, but most importantly have a great time!

• Like 1

I too have this hunt for my first elk tag. If its anything like opening archery it is going to be crowded. Good luck to everyone!

My wife and I have that same hunt tagged out last year tough hunt good luck to all and the folks on this site are very helpful that's hard to find these days for sure.