Sign in to follow this  
camoremi

New shotgun?

I have a mosberg 500 in 12ga. It's ok but I kinda want something different. What would you guys suggest for some quail hunting? Kinda thinking maybe a O/U 20ga

You get what you pay for with almost anything. What's your budget? Browning, Beretta, Benelli all make nice O/U and autos too. Good luck with your choice!

I have used autos for years and would love a o/u. I used a remminton 1100 for years and switched to a Benelli three years ago and it is awesome, light weight, and cycled any ammo I have tried.

• Like 2

I shoot o/u 20's but if you like autos check out a benelli montefeltro. I mention the somewhat affordable benelli but the sky is the limit ya know. Montes are super lightweight so kick a bit more so if in 12ga and shooting dove all day on a farm you will get sore. If hiking after quail all day with less shooting they are awesome!!! If in 20 then simply heavenly...

O/u 20 I have a franchi renesaince elite and it is crAzy lightweight but even in 20 gauge it pounds your shoulder shooting dove (euros) for hours so would be sweet quail gun but kinda pretty for the Bush. :]

CZ has some nice o/u for decent price

I have used autos for years and would love a o/u. I used a remminton 1100 for years and switched to a Benelli three years ago and it is awesome, light weight, and cycled any ammo I have tried.

Love the 1100's benelli is only direction to go in autos after a 1100 life. Suddenly your shooting faster, smoother, and positively lighter weight.. Well as long as not super black eagle but since you mentioned cycling all rounds I figured not that 1 and its a tank for upland. ;)

Another vote for Benelli. My son and I both shoot their M1 Super 90 and have no regrets. Not that I've shot a lot of different guns, so I'm not an expert by any means, but their anti-recoil system is what sold me.

One thing that a gun dealer told me years ago when selecting a shotgun is that the gun has to "fit" the shooter. So he said do the following steps

1) While standing in a shooting position, and holding the gun, close your eyes.

2) Quickly pull the gun up to your shoulder like you're getting ready to shoot a flushing bird.

3) Now open your eyes and see how your eyes line up with the barrel, and if you are ready to quickly pull the trigger without making some sort of time consuming adjustments.

If you do this with several guns, you will start to see a noticeable difference between each one, and what fits you best as the shooter.

Good luck this season!

I want a 12ga semi auto for xmas just for duck hunting and other stuff. I currently shoot a 20ga beretta o/u which I love for quail hunting. Wouldn't use anything else for quail hunting. Maybe once I get better at shooting go to a 28ga

I went to the semi auto Benelli SBE II, it's nice, accurate, comfortable, reliable and shoots all ammo I feed through it. Mostly use a extra full choke on everything. Never looked back.

Dove, quail, duck, turkey, coyote, fox, and bobcat, is what I have taken with so far.

Price tag goes from $900-$1700 used to new.

I have a 20gauge Beretta SP o/u and I love it! For quail hunting, me personally, would shoot a 20 gauge or smaller. They are light and easy to pack around all day. I would either go with SxS or O/U. Also it is much easier grabbing your spent casings then trying to chase a covey of quail and have to pick up all of your spent shells off the ground.

• Like 1

I went to the semi auto Benelli SBE II, it's nice, accurate, comfortable, reliable and shoots all ammo I feed through it. Mostly use a extra full choke on everything. Never looked back.

Dove, quail, duck, turkey, coyote, fox, and bobcat, is what I have taken with so far.

Extra full choke on dove and quail??

I'm a long range shotgunner! I give them a chance to fly a little before knock them down.

I'm a long range shotgunner! I give them a chance to fly a little before knock them down.

Cool. Do you have a dog to find them when they go down that far away?

Any shotgun will work for quail. I have a benelli o/u in a 28 and 20 and a SKB in a o/u 12. I use the 28 almost 98% of the time.

azbirdhunter88, I can't help but to ask. I see you say you have Benelli o/u in 20 & 28 ga. I do not see them on there website where Benelli makes these shotguns. I do see the new 828U in 12 ga. Are your o/u's old ? Just curious...Thanks,