Sign in to follow this  
G_E_E

Thinking about a new bow string

I am going on my third year with my bow tech assassin. Its my first bow so I am still pretty new to bow hunting/shooting. I have heard that it's a good idea to change out strings every 2 to 3 years. Any recommendations on a brand? Looking to spend around 100 bucks. Also how does it affect my current sights? Will I have to sight it in again? I have the stock apex four pin sight. Is there a break in period? Has anyone purchased strings from bull basin archery, and had them install strings? Since I live in Tucson that's most likely where I will go have it installed.

• Like 1

Strings and cables are one of those you get what you pay for things. Everyone has their favorite but in reality most major string manufacturing companies make a quality string. Prestretched is a must. There will be a shoot in period usually around 50-100 shots. Peep sight and nock point will need to be set, unless you are very lucky it will need to be sighted in again. Nock point and peep can be off just a fraction and affect point of impact.

If you change the cables timing will need to be checked after the break in period. I use high quality strings and still have had slight timing issues. Also your bow should have the tune checked. That is something I always do after a set of string and cables replace.

Guest oneshot

I change out to a new bow string every year(after the season), keeping the old one for a back-up in my pack, then throwing away those strings that are 2years old...(recurve shooter)

+1 for Bull Basin

I am going on my third year with my bow tech assassin. Its my first bow so I am still pretty new to bow hunting/shooting. I have heard that it's a good idea to change out strings every 2 to 3 years. Any recommendations on a brand? Looking to spend around 100 bucks. Also how does it affect my current sights? Will I have to sight it in again? I have the stock apex four pin sight. Is there a break in period? Has anyone purchased strings from bull basin archery, and had them install strings? Since I live in Tucson that's most likely where I will go have it installed.

How you like the bow? I have the same one and been using it for about 3 - 4 year and I'm barely going to replace the string this season.

If its been 3 years, you are definitely due for a change. I recently swapped strings on one of mine and the bow had lost 11 # of draw weight and 26 fps arrow speed by having and old worn out string on it.

If you shoot a lot, you should change it at least every year. I know a guy thats a fanatical shooter, leagues, tournaments, etc. and he changes strings every six months.

• Like 1

I change strings about every year, and definitely replace factory strings on new bows instantly. I use JBK bowstrings. There are other good string makers out there, but my last 6 sets of strings have been from Jeff at JBK and I always use the BCY-X material. Downside is, you'll wait about three weeks for his strings.

If its been 3 years, you are definitely due for a change. I recently swapped strings on one of mine and the bow had lost 11 # of draw weight and 26 fps arrow speed by having and old worn out string on it.

If you shoot a lot, you should change it at least every year. I know a guy thats a fanatical shooter, leagues, tournaments, etc. and he changes strings every six months.

My strings still look pretty good and I wax them every so often.. I only see some wear where the string hits the string stop but yeah its probably a good idea to change them out this year.. I try and keep them waxed and keep my bow indoors if I'm not shooting.

Bull Basin in Tucson has changed out my bow string twice, and did an A+ job. No post installation stretch, and both times I literally did not have to move any of my pins. Amazing service, and I think it was about $125. You'd be nuts to shortcut to save a few bucks for inferior strings and service. They get them from a custom string maker in Colorado, and his work is second to none in my opinion. Good luck!

• Like 1

Bull Basin in Tucson has changed out my bow string twice, and did an A+ job. No post installation stretch, and both times I literally did not have to move any of my pins. Amazing service, and I think it was about $125. You'd be nuts to shortcut to save a few bucks for inferior strings and service. They get them from a custom string maker in Colorado, and his work is second to none in my opinion. Good luck!

Do you know what string builder they use? My bow is in need of new strings and was thinking about taking it to BB here in Tucson, rather than order some online.

My strings still look pretty good and I wax them every so often.. I only see some wear where the string hits the string stop but yeah its probably a good idea to change them out this year.. I try and keep them waxed and keep my bow indoors if I'm not shooting.

The string I was talking about also still looked brand new. I couldnt believe it was as bad as it was. If yours is that old, check it on a bow scale. If your poundage is down, you'll know its overly fatigued and should be replaced. Another indicator is how does it feel when drawn and pulled against the stops? The wall should feel very solid, like you couldnt pull the string even another 1/8 inch if you wanted to. If the wall feels soft and spongy, this is a worn string you are feeling. A good stringis like a steel cable that holds everything together tightly and has very little give, where as one that is worn out is like an overstretched bungy cord, all kinds of extra give/slack and very spongy.

One thing to note is that your string could be shot as ive described but your a.t.a. and brace height can still check out fine. The indicator would be in the draw cycle, not in the resting dimensions.

• Like 1

Still have the factory string on my 08 Mathews... couldn't tell you how many shots it has on it but I have to be religious with wax or else it looks like it will explode... may be time to replace

How you like the bow? I have the same one and been using it for about 3 - 4 year and I'm barely going to replace the string this season.

I love it. I only just recently replaced the stock rest with a fall away rest. Everything else being stock has been deadly for me, since I have killed two deer and one javelina in the two and a half years I have had it.

• Like 1

I just ordered a pair of strings (BCY-X) from 60X for my PSE decree, the factory ABB set on it is starting to look a bit ragged. Will see how I like them in a few days.

• Like 1