Sign in to follow this  

After separating from the Marine Corps my father gifted me a rifle he just called an old 30-06. After receiving it I realized it was a REMINGTON 1903 and from looking up the serial numbers on the receiver I know it was made in 1942. He bought it from a friend at work going through a nasty divorce for like $100.00 years ago and he never even shot the dang thing. First off the thing is sporterized and I put a nice Leupold scope on it. the thing is heavy as all heck but shoots very well. I do have a problem though and I am hoping someone can answer this. The bullets do not feed. I have tried everything. Different bullets. Cleaning it. Taking it apart. Moving the spring thing around, and nothing works except for turning the on/off switch on the bolt to the position where it allows the bolt to come out of the receiver and then carefully pushed back in. So basically the bolt doesn't come back far enough to grab the next shell, it sits right on top of it by a hair. How do I fix this?

The lever on the side is a magazine cut off which will not allow shells to feed from the magazine when in the on position. Sounds like something may be miss-adjusted there. Derrick should be able to diagnose it easily.

• Like 1

The lever on the side is a magazine cut off which will not allow shells to feed from the magazine when in the on position. Sounds like something may be miss-adjusted there. Derrick should be able to diagnose it easily.

Yes, the bolt release switch should have three positions on it. I have a 1918 Springfield 1903 and if you have the lever in the wrong position, it won't let the bolt come all the way back.

They can be stripper clip fed, but its not necessary. And all 1903s were chambered in 30-06 after about 1906 or so. There are earlier versions from 1900-1903 that were 30-40 Krag.

If you were in Flagstaff or closer, I'd tell you to bring it over. When you get it functional, it will shoot awesome!

It shoots amazing right now, I just have to have the switch positioned so if I pull back too much the bolt comes completely out...

I've tried playing the switch/lever a ton and the only way I get the shells to feed is if I have the switch in the bolt release position so I can bring it back that extra millimeter to get the shell to catch and then push it back up. Only problem is if I am in the moment and I try racking another shell I could potentially pull the bolt right out.

You mention that this was sporterized... is there a new stock on it that does not allow the cutoff lever to rotate all of the way downward past the bolt release middle position?

You mention that this was sporterized... is there a new stock on it that does not allow the cutoff lever to rotate all of the way downward past the bolt release middle position?

Exactly what I was just thinking after reading the OPs last post.

• Like 1

It seems to rotate all the way down just fine. I'll have to take it into a gunsmith

After reading this I went and played around with the switch again. If there is supposed to be 3 positions the switch can go into I think I can only get it in 2. All the way up, middle, and when rotating down it seems to stop short!

After reading this I went and played around with the switch again. If there is supposed to be 3 positions the switch can go into I think I can only get it in 2. All the way up, middle, and when rotating down it seems to stop short!

That's probably it. I'd have to go home to confirm on mine, but all the way down into the third spot is where it should be so you can have full motion of the bolt. You might have to do some work on the stock right there to get the lever all the way down.

• Like 1