MuggyMan

Last Grizzly in AZ

Aldo Leopold states in his book that the last grizzly in Arizona was killed on top of Escudilla in 1937 I believe. A government trapper killed the bear after complaints of it bashing the skulls of cattle in.

Something like that. I couldn't find my copy of the book.

I can't seem to find the story that I originally read about Lilly. He was on a grizzly with his dogs and he was so focused he went 3 days without eating and passed out for a day or so. He loved his dogs and treated them better than himself.

Would of been cool to see but I still prefer they not reintroduce Grizzly into our very populated state. I would prefer herbivores.. Imagine driving up i-17 and seeing Bison grazing around Cordes. 😃

Maybe we could do some fancy genetic stuff and come up with a miniature bison say 200lbs.. ;) and have over counter tags for them. Maybe reintroduce all the grizzly and wolves in California cities?

• Like 1

I sure wish "Outdoor Writer" was still here. I remember him writing something about the last AZ grizzly in an old issue of Outdoor Life. Details are foggy, but I remember reading something about a guy with dogs tracking it down to mexico and back up the blue.

I remember reading sometning about the last grizzly called Old Mos or something. I used to work for Wide World of Maps and read just about every book they had on Az history, but that was many beers ago...

I sure wish "Outdoor Writer" was still here. I remember him writing something about the last AZ grizzly in an old issue of Outdoor Life. Details are foggy, but I recall reading something about a guy with dogs tracking it down to mexico and back up the blue.

They are still out there.

I knew this thread would end up here. There is always somebody.

• Like 1

They are still out there.

I knew this thread would end up here. There is always somebody.

So you have covered every inch of this state to verify that? Not starting a conspiracy theory just stating this is a big state with lots of land. Who knows what's out there.

If we could find a grizzly that would only prey on wolves I would say bringem back

Was a kid growing up in near Flag in the early 70's.  The old man and some of his buddies knew an old houndsman (don't recall his name) who spent a lot of his time in Sycamore.  Guy had some outstanding artifacts in is den from his days of wandering the canyon.  His den was a mini-museum with artifacts acquired over many years of working that canyon.  At any rate, at the time, he was certain of a grizzly he knew of in the canyon back in the mid-60's or so.   Who knows if that was a thinly strung yarn or not, but the guy certainly did not seem to be the type to embellish, or have a need to do so.   He was of the opinion Sycamore would be about the last place in AZ to give up all of her secrets.  Eh, who knows.  Was fun to think about at the time.