MuggyMan

Last Grizzly in AZ

I read a book a few years back about the Lee brothers, who hunted lions in southern AZ. In the book it mentioned when the last Grizzly was taken in AZ, but I can't remember the year. This is the book, just googled it up. I don't think I'll be buying a copy soon.

Screenshot_2019-08-04-10-20-43.png

4 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

I read a book a few years back about the Lee brothers, who hunted lions in southern AZ. In the book it mentioned when the last Grizzly was taken in AZ, but I can't remember the year. This is the book, just googled it up. I don't think I'll be buying a copy soon.

According to Leopold, the year was 1937.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

My friends grandpa had that book signed by Lee. But I always thought my friends grandpa was the greatest lion guide

The book that I read was also signed. I think that there were so few books printed that they were all signed.

38 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

The book that I read was also signed. I think that there were so few books printed that they were all signed.

Yeah probably. The one I’m talking about also complimented my friend on his dry ground lion dogs. 

51TTeJjIAeL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

best ever account of the Wiseman grizzly is in here i think.  millions of words have been written about that one sow but the ones that meant the most:   the necropsy report stated she had given birth.

i liked the Montague Stevens book also-very entertaining until he lost his dogs to 1080-i think i gave my copy to Bill Quimby or somebody on here.

lee

ps about the only book i ever sold was an O'Connor.  to this day i feel bad for taking your money Casey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

1968, a man named Woody Spires took me an my brothers down to a ranch just north of Hannegan Meadow to meet Clell Lee.  He had a ton of hounds.  Lee brothers were legendary hunters known to all in the area.  Spent a couple hours listening to stories told by Clell.  It was amazing.  I was about 12 years old at the time.  Saw Clell at the Alpine/Luna rodeos every year until his health failed.  Always made a point to say hello and ask about his dogs.  Doubt he recognized me but he was alway cordial.

• Like 2

Ben Lilly was the guy I was thinking of. I thought he was called the hermit of the gila. May be wrong guy. I thought I remembered reading he hunted some of the last Grizzlies in New Mexico. Still a good story either way. 

image.jpeg