CatfishKev

Best deals on AR's

To answer the questions about shooting 5.56 through a .223 rifle, someone more or less hit it on the head above but I figured I'd elaborate a little. The 5.56 round is loaded a little hotter to get better ballistics. Although the .223 can fire the 5.56 usually without any issue, you will see significant premature wear on the rifle as the pressure are simply too high for the bolt, extractor, etc. You can also (in rare instances) start to see malfunctions attributable to the higher pressures as it will be causing the rifle to cycle much harder than it was designed to do. I would strongly recommend just getting a rifle chambered for 5.56 if you think you will be firing those rounds. Not to mention, firearms that are rated 5.56 are generally a higher quality build as well. If you find something showing 5.56/.223 you are good to go for both rounds.

If you are looking for a good rifle, I would recommend checking out Bravo Company's website. If you look in the sale section you can find some pretty amazing deals on blemish uppers. I built my current varmint rifle using those parts and was able to put together a very awesome rifle at a great price.

• Like 1

Yeah I saw the one for sale, he's in flag though and I'm in SV. The one DB i saw has the open free float handrail for $499 which I'm thinking is pretty good. Also saw the Anderson for $499.

• Like 1

To answer the questions about shooting 5.56 through a .223 rifle, someone more or less hit it on the head above but I figured I'd elaborate a little. The 5.56 round is loaded a little hotter to get better ballistics. Although the .223 can fire the 5.56 usually without any issue, you will see significant premature wear on the rifle as the pressure are simply too high for the bolt, extractor, etc. You can also (in rare instances) start to see malfunctions attributable to the higher pressures as it will be causing the rifle to cycle much harder than it was designed to do. I would strongly recommend just getting a rifle chambered for 5.56 if you think you will be firing those rounds. Not to mention, firearms that are rated 5.56 are generally a higher quality build as well. If you find something showing 5.56/.223 you are good to go for both rounds.

If you are looking for a good rifle, I would recommend checking out Bravo Company's website. If you look in the sale section you can find some pretty amazing deals on blemish uppers. I built my current varmint rifle using those parts and was able to put together a very awesome rifle at a great price.

Along the same lines, I was at Usery last year and a couple of older gentlemen were having a problem getting the bolt open on their rifle. It was a wood stocked bolt action chambered in 223 and they were shooting 5.56 in it. The rifle was a very nice looking one but I don't remember the make. I explained the difference between the two rounds to them at the time.

Along the same lines, I was at Usery last year and a couple of older gentlemen were having a problem getting the bolt open on their rifle. It was a wood stocked bolt action chambered in 223 and they were shooting 5.56 in it. The rifle was a very nice looking one but I don't remember the make. I explained the difference between the two rounds to them at the time.

Yup, good call helping them out. Bolt guns are usually built to higher tolerances, so the expansion of the casing from the higher pressure was probably causing some problems.

If you just want a cheap AR, they are as inexpensive to buy assembled as building it yourself. That being said, you can build a top of the line AR for a lot less than buying a pre assembled one. A few months ago i built a sweet AR for about $700 (minus optics). Look at AXC tactical in north mesa. They had better prices and more selection than anyone. Here is the one i built

post-63-0-13919400-1479752694_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with aero precision. I have built tons of rifles and various combos with them. Varmint hunting look for an 18 to 20 inch barrel 1 in 8 twist.

Remember ar is like legos, you build, change, rebuild, build another rifle then build other ar calibers like 6.8 spc2, e00 blackout, and then add suppressors (plural yes) then do all those versions in sbr format.

BCM Recce receives good reviews, like a special purpose rifle with longer barrel. Then you need one in 11.5 inch lol, it is addecting and if you buy cheap you'll spend more in the long run .

Have fun!