iloveguns

Late Archery and First Bull

Hey ladies and gents. Short time lurker first time poster! Found this site earlier this year after not thinking of anything but Elk hunting since the draw results came out!! After moving to AZ almost 2 years ago I got to see and hear stories of big AZ bull Elks! I knew I wanted to be a part of the few that have taken mature bulls. I put in for Bull Elk this year in January and waited till April or May to see that my Credit Card got hit from AZ Game and Fish. Waiting all summer for it to come was like a kid on Christmas eve! I went up for the early hunts and I was anxious for my hunt to come. Finally the day arrived and I left Thursday to get our camp set up and ready for opening day the next morning. Weather was perfect. We had a few decent bulls on cams but they where not coming out till way past dark. My expectations for the size or class of bull was pretty low. I didn't care how small it was I was just looking forward to shooting my first bull or at least getting a chance at one. After 4 long days of not seeing one elk, the evening of the 4th is when it happened. At last light this guy peaked his head around the corner and started to walk into the water i was sitting. I noticed he was a shooter but I didn't want to focus on how big I just didn't want to screw up the shot. I ranged him at 48yds and set my crossbow on the back shoulder and waited for him to stop. He did and I let it fly! He immediately took off crashing through the trees and running up the hill. Now I had buddies with me for all of opening weekend until Monday afternoon. They all had to get back to work and the one buddy who was with me had an emergency that took him away for the evening and the next day. I was all by myself with no way of taking care of this thing! I hauled but out of the spot and made it back to camp and got in my vehicle to drive to get cell service. After talking with every one and not exactly sure where my shot went we decided to let him lay over night and track him in the morning. Next morning we made it up 50 yds from where I shot the bull and it was laying there! When I came around the trees and saw it for the first time I was blown away. I never would have dreamed to take such a big bull like this. I was floored. I give all the glory and honor to God for allowing me that moment. I also could not have done it with out my wife allowing me to take the time away from home! And last but definitely not least all my buddies who I would not have been able to do this with out. Sorry for the long post I will stop short and just say that this was a once in a lifetime experience and I am truly blessed with such a wonderful family friends and now a big old bull that should be hanging in my living room!

post-15128-0-37091200-1479696435_thumb.jpg

post-15128-0-00107600-1479696367_thumb.jpg

• Like 24

Good bull Nathan. I know we haven't met but my dad (monty) was in your camp with jimmy. He sent me the pictures and videos of you and jimmy's bulls. Great story. Preston

Awsome man. Bummer you had to let it go for the night, I'm sure if you stick around on this site you will have more options next time.

Nice job and congrats on a beautiful bull. Welcome to the site