Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

Great Archery Pro Shop

I was hoping someone could offer up a recent experience at a archery shop as I will be looking to purchase a bow in the very near future. I'm looking at the Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo or Mathews Halon, so ideally a shop that is a dealer for both. Still open to other bows as well. I Live in the East Valley (Gilbert), but don't mind traveling. I even considered heading up to Chasin A Dream in Payson if needed. I've saved up a good chunk of money to buy an awesome setup, and would really like to make sure I give my business to the place that deserves it most. I used to get amazing service at Archery HQ back when George was on the staff, but ever since then it has been a little spotty. Any recommendations regarding a store and/or person at said store I should talk to would be great. Note I'm not ruling Archery HQ out by any means, but since I haven't been there in quite a while I was hoping to get some feedback on their shop as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

shoot an obsession with a 7" brace height and youll never shoot a hoyt again.

desert ghost archery in Wickenburg. Small shop great bow mechanic

• Like 1

I prefer Ross. That being said i recently bought a Halon 6 from Archery Headquarters. I am not a Mathews guy and shot every single new bow and the Halon was my favorite by far

Another vote for Ross outdoors or Bull Basin in Flagstaff. Both are great shops.

Any more they are all pretty good. The trick is to pick one and stick with it. Develop a relationship with the crew . That way your not just a number on a bow tag.

• Like 3

Have you checked out Timber Mesa Archery in Gilbert? They have been my go to sunce they opened that location a year or so ago. They are west of Stapley (Cooper?) on Baseline. They carry both brands you suggested as well as all the other major brands if I am not mistaken. Also, they offer free new strings every 2 years on all higher end bow purchases.

Also, don't rule out Prime and Elite without shooting them. Timber Mesa carries them as well. I haven't shot this years lineup, but I shot them all this past spring. I started with the Halon and Defiant at the top of the list, but the Elite Impulse and Prime Rize bumped them both. But that was just me personal shooting preference.

Thanks everyone! Ross seems to be getting some pretty awesome reviews. They have 5 stars on Google too. I saw Timber Mesa and was considering them, but they weren't listed as a dealer on Hoyt's website, so I thought they might not sell them. I'll give them a call to be sure.

I'm still pretty open when it comes to a bow. The Hoyt and Mathews I listed above are at the top of my list, but I know I plan to shoot lots of other bows too to make absolutely certain. Top priority is shootability, followed VERY closely by weight. I prefer to backpack hunt so keeping the weight down is pretty important.

Another vote for Ross. I've been to 4 other shops and they are the best. I had a friend, brand new to archery who went to timber Mesa and it went terribly for him. He was a lefty and they put a right handed site upside down on his bow, I don't know how easy or hard that is to but then the first time he drew his bow back with me there I could tell it was way to short. They set his bow up at 28 inches, he measured at 31-31.5. The bow they sold him only goes to 30. He eventually listened to me and made the drive to Ross and they got him as close as possible to his draw length without getting a new bow. Maybe it was a brand new tech, maybe it was a guy having a bad day, but they hosed my friend on that set up. I'm no bow tech by any stretch but these seem like pretty novice mistakes.

• Like 1