Millhouse

Smoked Turkey tips please

Trying something new this year. I will be smoking a turkey on the Traeger for Thanksgiving. Still new to smoking. The smart play would have been to do a trail run, but I've never been accused of being smart.

Any tips from those of you who have done this before?

Thanks in advance.

That's really the only way I like to do the T-day bird. Here's what I like to do on my Weber Smokey Mtn 22.5":

Brine a 15# bird in a small/medium size cooler overnight. Water, 10# bag of ice, salt, brown sugar, cut up citrus, fresh thyme.

Day of....fire up my smoker using the minion method with Kingsford blue bag and a few chunks of cherry wood. Get it to 300* - 325* and prep the bird

Take bird out of the brine. Dry thoroughly and rub it down with either olive oil or butter. Liberally apply the rub of your choice. Put a few chunks of orange/lemon in the cavity of the bird.

Put the bird on the smoker for 2.5 hours, then check the temp of the bird. Pull it when it gets to 160ish*

Loosely wrap bird in foil, but back in a dry cooler to rest. Let rest for 30-45 min. After resting, carve the bird and enjoy.

I'll be doing 2 birds this year, one on the smoker, one spatchcock in the oven.

• Like 3

Doing a turkey is easy, no fat to render down or sweat period to push threw.

Brine your turkey tomorrow morning. You can buy a store mix or make your own, google can be your friend on what ingredients. I use a very simple rub in Lots of garlic salt, a little less paprika and even less pepper, on the outside of the bird on the inside I add bay leaves and thyme and some of the garlic salt mixture. Im going to try a method my buddie uses is add apple sauce on the outside of the bird after you get all your seasoning on it. He says the apple sauce creates a happy bubble that keep all that juicy goodness inside. I smoke my bird for about 1/2 hour or so per LB. Let it rest for about 45 minutes before carving.

• Like 2

I took that you using a traeger you would be using those pellets and can set it on an auto timer I believe so I didn't go into prep for the wood and the smoke.

Brine it like stated. Then dry it and spatchcock it (cut out the spine) with some good kitchen shears, this will reduce cooking time. I will season and butter it and slide some up between the skin and breasts. I will never make one in the oven again. Smoking is the best way I've done yet.

Man, good tips guys!

Looks like brining is a must and something I had planned anyways. Good to know I was on the right track. Bird weight is 12.5 lbs. Was thinking about putting it on 'smoke' for a three hours and then putting the temp to 350 to cook for 3-4hrs.

6A,you are correct with the pellets. We went with the lazy mans smoker and have loved it since we got it. There isn't much we don't cook on it and rarely use our oven anymore. I just haven't done the turkey yet...that will change in a couple days.

oz31p, we will be using a deepfryer on the second bird but that one is not by responsibility.

• Like 2

How do you like the traeger grill? Been thinking about buying one...

We love it! I wanted a smoker, but realized that I needed it to be 'convenient' in order for us to use it. We don't use our gas grill anymore. We cook everything on the our Traeger. Burgers, steaks, ribs, pork shoulders, corn on the cob, veggies, fries, homemade pizza's, chicken, the list goes on...soon to add Thanksgiving Turkey! Super easy and great tasting food. At the time I thought perhaps we bought one that was too big, but I no longer feel that way. It wasn't cheap but we do not regret our decision.

I wouldn't smoke your turkey before the actually cook time. It will get plenty of smoke into the meat and since turkey doesn't have much fat you will dry it out.

I've been impressed with most of Traegers Recipes. This year I'm doing 4 turkey breasts on the smoker. Can't wait.

Brine for close to 24 hours for sure.

Man, good tips guys!

Looks like brining is a must and something I had planned anyways. Good to know I was on the right track. Bird weight is 12.5 lbs. Was thinking about putting it on 'smoke' for a three hours and then putting the temp to 350 to cook for 3-4hrs.

6A,you are correct with the pellets. We went with the lazy mans smoker and have loved it since we got it. There isn't much we don't cook on it and rarely use our oven anymore. I just haven't done the turkey yet...that will change in a couple days.

oz31p, we will be using a deepfryer on the second bird but that one is not by responsibility.

What model do you have? Pics? I got a weber grill but dont like how the burners go sideways. Id be happy to get one grill / smoker that does it all.

cut the backbone out and squash the turkey flat it will cook more evenly and quicker...

I used to do mine on the Weber, would stuff the cavity with fruit, apples, oranges & pineapple chunks, place it breast down in a pan to collect the juice for basting with, then scatter wood chips on the coals a couple times during the cooking process. Always came out wonderful but you can't use the drippings for gravy, the fruit taste ain't that hot in gravy.