Hoss50

Hunting with muzzle brake?

What does everyone do for hearing protection when you hunt with a muzzle brake? This will be my first hunt with a rifle with a brake. I won't lie, with a normal rifle I let it ride without hearing protection, but this rifle is loud as heck.

Harley

• Like 1

Always know where you ear plugs are at, pocket, back pack pocket, cheek rest pocket. Go over it and over it. I've read a few military books about authors who where, SF, Delta, and Seals. The one thing they go over is practice where everything is at in you pockets, and packs. How many times in the heat of moment when you are looking for you shooting sticks, ammo and you can't remember. I could of shot a coyote this year on my brothers deer hunt at 550 yards and he was just sitting there for 2 mins. Grass was to high for the bipod, and spent all my time looking for my shooting sticks. By the time I found him in my scope and got a solid back rest he moved and started prancing off. If I would of known where my sticks were I could of had the longest coyote shot in my family :(

Honestly, I don't use hearing protection while hunting. I should, but I'm around jet engines all day long. If you do it right, you should only take one shot.

I have the ear plugs with the cord that attaches them. And I run the cord through the back of my hat where you adjust the size so that I never lose them. I accidentally shot my 270wsm with a muzzle break once without hearing protection and it literally dazed me. I now know how a concussion grenade works. I sat there for a few seconds with a stupid look on my face wondering where I was and what I had just done.

• Like 1

Keep the kind with a string on them in the little bag they come in. Put them in the sunshade or front of scope with the flip up covers down. when you need them flip the covers up put em on and kill stuff.

I wear one of the orange plastic ones around my beck the whole time. I don't even notice it is there but can put it on in just a couple of seconds.

I use the same hard plastic ones. There are 2 pairs in my guide lid on my pack at all times. When we spot something the shooter puts them around there neck so they are ready when it's time to shoot

I use electronic ear plugs when hunting. They amplify sounds so my deaf arse can bear, but deaden muzzle blast at the same time.

I use electronic ear plugs when hunting. They amplify sounds so my deaf arse can bear, but deaden muzzle blast at the same time.

Mind sharing the model you are happy with?

Thx.

If it's a quick shot opportunity then I don't worry about it. But if I have time to set up then I use my lightweight electronic muffs, turn the sound all the way up and you can communicate with someone in hushed tones if your together and still be able to hear everything and not blow out your ears. It's really nice to be able to dress your game without ringing ears also.

You don't need a brake unless your going big ie., 338 etc.. Otherwise they are a danger to the shooter and all others around them. If you do use a break, make sure you tell everyone to get away if they don't have ears on.

Honestly, I don't use hearing protection while hunting. I should, but I'm around jet engines all day long. If you do it right, you should only take one shot.

Definately NOT the way to go about using a brake. I refuse to shoot without hearing protection. My left ear is so damaged its caused more fights with my wife then I care to admit. Im ignoring her, I'm ignoring the kids "you heard what I said" etc etc etc.

• Like 1