Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

former member has success

I wanted to post these pictures scott sent me.

53" Hume Marco Polo argali. 586 yards w the 264.

47" Mid Asian ibex. 300 yards w the 264.

FullSizeR_zpso3shwux7.jpg

Penultima_zpstoqctjqj.jpg

• Like 8

Marco Polo ram at 14,000 feet in the Kyrgyzstan is on my bucket list!

Sweet and congrats!

Congratulations to Scottyboy!

For CatfishKev and others who have not heard of argalis and ibex, they are the epitome of mountain game trophies.

The argalis are the largest of the world's wild sheep and are found on the roof of the world in Asia. SCI maintains categories for 14 subspecies, including the Marco Polo, which has the longest horns. The Venetian explorer Marco Polo for which they were named was called a liar by European scientists when he told of seeing wild sheep with horns that were six feet wide per side while on his epic expedition, but the all-time record horns proved to be three inches longer than that!

Ibex are wild goats, also found across Asia, and the billy Scotty took is an especially good one. The mid-Asian variety is said to the largest of the seven varieties that SCI maintains records for. The "Persian" ibex from Iran that were introduced to New Mexico are smaller and have smaller horns.

I have mixed emotions about the photos but thanks for posting them, Casey. I am torn between being happy for Scotty and downright envying his opportunity and ability to hunt these fantastic animals in some of the roughest high-altitude terrain on this planet.

Bill Quimby

• Like 6