Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Cuttin' loose

How many of you have freed a beast from certain death?

I've cut a horse, elk calf and antelope loose. Watched from the Jeep as a kid while my dad pulled a bucket off a bull's muzzle.

post-11051-0-28350200-1480186647_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

was down javelina hunting a few years back , and came across a really nice black angus calf caught in the fence, bauling for his momma, was surely going to be coyote, bobcat, or lion food by morning, we cut it loose and went on about our business, hope the rancher appreciated it :)

• Like 2

I came across these two back in 2013. One had been dead for quite some time and the other was barely hanging on. Sad to say it was not a happy ending. If you go back through all the episodes you can see how the events played out. I am the fat guy in shorts.

• Like 1

Never came across any big game animals needing help, but I did spend almost three hours hours freeing a snake from a glue trap using baby oil. Drove out to the desert to let the little guy go.

• Like 2

I came across these two back in 2013. One had been dead for quite some time and the other was barely hanging on. Sad to say it was not a happy ending. If you go back through all the episodes you can see how the events played out. I am the fat guy in shorts.

That is alot of dead weight there......how did you get the short stick on wading out there???

Nature is more cruel than we can imagine!!!

• Like 1

I've helped get a horse out a cattle guard. freed a heifer from getting stuck in a cut and tried unsuccessfully to free a cow from quick sand. The quick sand was tough because for as much work put into getting it free it just kept sinking little by little.

Ive have yet to see any wild animals in destress in which i would be able to help.

While on holiday in Kenya and walking through the bush a man comes across an elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seems distressed so the man approaches very carefully. He gets down on one knee and inspects the bottom of the elephant's foot only to find a large thorn deeply embedded. As carefully and as gently as he can he removes the thorn and the elephant gingerly puts its foot down. The elephant turns to face the man and with a rather stern look on its face, stares at him. For a good ten minutes the man stands frozen - thinking of nothing else but being trampled.Eventually the elephant turns and walks away.

For years after, the man often remembers and ponders the events of that day. Years later the man is walking through the zoo with his son. As they approach the elephant enclosure, one of the elephants turns and walks over to where they are standing at the rail. It stares at him and the man can't help wondering if this is the same elephant. The man climbs tentatively over the railing and makes his way into the enclosure. He walks right up to the elephant and stares back in wonder. Suddenly the elephant wraps its trunk around one of the man's legs and swings him wildly back and forth along the railing, instantly killing him.

Probably not the same elephant.

• Like 4

I helped get a horse out of the bottom of a well once. It was a bunch of work and a lot of things went right. About 100 people showed up to watch and 'advise'. In the end, Stoney was fine, just very tired. His story became the basis for a children's book.

• Like 1

Cut a bull elk out of a fence after he ran across the highway and got his hind leg tangled in the top two strands of wire. Happened up on fh3 near stoneman lake. Scary crap cutting the strand of wire so close to him. He dang sure didn't want me that close but as he ran away I bet he was a little happy. And yes I fixed the fence where I cut him out.

• Like 1

Came across this guy while working. Took a while but finally got him untangled. dang thing rushed me for a few feet after it was freed.

post-12045-0-50866900-1480393752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Never came across any big game animals needing help, but I did spend almost three hours hours freeing a snake from a glue trap using baby oil. Drove out to the desert to let the little guy go.

I did that with a gecko but was afraid to post it L.O.L.

• Like 2

As a kid we had a horse named JohnBull, we had ridden him tons but we all knew hew could be very much just like his name.

He buggered after we came across a rattlesnake and dumped both me and my brother off not 5 feet away from the snake.

I was with some friends and we all had horses, four of us total, we were riding around the farm where we had ridden many times before and one of the paths we took included a downed barbed wire fence, all the wires laying flat on the ground. Dumb as it sounds, we had ridden the path but this time one horse bumped a wire and course JohnBull spooked and when he jumped back he caught one of those wires right behing the front fetlock. All he could think to do was pull back, and pull back.

I honestly can't remember how we every got him out of there but it was ugly damage to his fetlock and my dad was none too happy.