Sign in to follow this  
azdesert rat

best book about how to hunt desert muleys

so im looking for a good book on hunting desert muley for a "beginner" my dad, he dosent listen to any advice i give him so i figure if it comes from a book he might actualy consider it, he definitely needs to adabt he averages 1 dink every 3 or 4 yrs the way he hunts now

Ive not read one specific to desert mule deer, but id check out dwight schuh's 'hunting open country deer'. It has a lot of technique and tactics that are applicable to all open terrain environments. He's written a couple of books and about a million magazine articles.

Any thing written by either dwight schuh or larry d jones can be counted as gospel. These guys are a couple of the original hardcore backcountry diy bowhunters/writers from way back when.

Cameron hanes and the eastmans also put out some great books, but I've never read anything from them about desert deer. Not saying they havent touched the topic, but their stuff that I've read has all been specifically high country.

There was a great book put out buy the north american hunt club about 20 years ago titled 'mastering mule deer' by wayne van zwoll that is very detailed on diet and other info, and also covers all terrain types from desert to above treeline. Not the most interesting to read, but loaded with great information.

• Like 1

yea ill have to check out the hunting open country, hes definatley to lazy to pack in and hes hunted muleys his whole life but his techniques need to be retired ie walking fingers and jump shooting deer and road hunting, ive bought him all the gear he needs to get it done he just wont listen when it comes to the how so opening day he goes back to what he knows and whines about there being no deer, hopefully he'll read this book and learn a few thing then maby he'll quit thinking im talking out my hinde end

• Like 1

Not really a hunting book although there are some hunting tips but Deer of the Southwest by Jim Heffelfinger has some great info on desert muleys. Several studies done in units 41 and 42. Read it and get up high with glass and he should be good to go.

Have him listen to Jay Scotts podcast. Basically every episode Jay touches on sitting down and glassing.

hes not active enogh to go to mdf banquettes and we live almost 100 miles apart, podcasts are probably out of the question too hes just starting to figure out texting, right now im thinking a good book like that hunting open country deer and a subscription to western hunter or eastmans

im hopeing even if he dosent pick up anything from the magazine's seein all those big dead muleys will light enough of a fire under him that he'll crack the book open

Sounds like one thats really set in his ways. Good luck. Probably the best way to crack that nut is too just sit your but down and start glassing, then when you spot something set up the 'extra pair' of binos you always bring and let him have a look.

I took a buddy of mine bowhunting for the first time several years ago down in 33. Hed rifle hunted elk with his old man before, but had never been exposed to the glassing game. Within about 15 minutes I had glassed up a herd of over 20 deer including 3 or 4 bucks chasing each other and does around, so I left the binos set on them and had him sit down behind the tripod. Hed glassed right over them to quickly and hadnt seen a thing. He was pretty blown away that there was that many deer less than 400 yards away and he couldn't see them.

Seeing is believing, youll probably have to prove the worth of the system beyond any argument he can form.

• Like 1

already did that this year for one morning hunt i forced him to get up when he needed to and go where i wanted and i put him on a nice little 3x3 the closest we got was 800yrds so he didnt get a shot next day he was back to same old same old. we actualy got into a big argument this year that almost turned into a fist fight lucky for him i still have allot of respect for him so i never got up and my grampa got him to settle down and sit down that was also because of another problem he has any one we meet he tells them all of our spots to make em think he knows what hes doing the problem is "our" spots are my spots ive busted my tail to finde and keep secret so i get a litlle livid when he pulls that crap

That's a tough spot to be in, I can understand the frustration. Without knowing either of you two, from what I've read from you it seems like he must enjoy the experience even with his current success rate, or else he probably wouldn't keep going with you. Probably he cares a lot more about the time he gets to spend with his son than he does about killing a deer, although a lot of guys have trouble putting that stuff into words. Maybe rather than try to change him, just plan that there's two types of hunting. 'Dad hunting' with 'our spots' then keep a handful of 'my spots' in your back pocket for when you have the opportunity to hunt alone.

• Like 2

yea i enjoy the time as well but im never hunting just helping and i get tired of the not listening and the whining about no deer and acting like i dont know what im doing even though i kill a deer in the same area almost every year with a bow, this year i got a 30" 4x4 with about a 4" droptine

Some times the same old same old will kill you a big buck too. Outside of the rut Mature desert mule deer are enigmas, you can be in the right place but it takes some luck i think.

Dwight Schuh's book is as applicable today as when it was written many years ago. Good read.

Good luck with your dad. Not sure his age but enjoy the the time, it is finite.