Sign in to follow this  
azdesert rat

best book about how to hunt desert muleys

yea luck and time he just doesn't like putting in the time, thats why im hopeing the magazines and book will get him reinvigorated and willing to try some different techniques

yea i think im going to get me a copy as well i dont pretend to be an expert and im always looking to learn more

Well he is right, there are no deer. Muleys are on the decline from the good old days. They are smarter and harder to get. 1 every 4 years is good hunting, 25%. I am sure that his legs dont want to go as far as they used to do. People on quads are pushing deer farther away from the roads and trails. Maybe if you gift him a session with Duane Adams on glassing he would take to glassing. And maybe he just wants to complain a little, everybody does. I am not sure that he wants you to fix it but just listen. Maybe he thinks that he has to live up to your expectations. :)

• Like 1

Just curious but did dad ever come around or is he doing the same ol' thing. I can tell you from my experience, the older I get the less important the kill is. At this point in my life, I look for experiences rather than kills. Just being out there during the hunt is pretty good stuff to me.

I know this is an old thread but I'm familiar with and have empathy for your situation.

Here's a possible solution. Don't put in for the same hunts. If you get the tag, hunt it your way without him. Up early. Hike far. Glass hard.

If it's his tag, go with him and help him but let him hunt the way he wants too. It is still frustrating but you can help by repeating the mantra "He can't ruin HIS hunt." Maybe it's just being outside with his boy (and his dad too) that gives him the satisfaction of hunting. By letting him drive the bus on his hunts, you are freed from all responsibility and emotional investment (except from the joy of being outside with your dad). Let him wake up when he wants. Let him head out into the field when he wants. Let him leave the woods/desert when he wants (even though it might be right before "prime time"). Your job will be to be ready when he's ready and help to the extent he asks for it. If he asks you where "we" should go just ask him what looks good to him. There's still frustration involved but it is so much less once you adopt the "He can't ruin HIS hunt." mentality.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. And the instinct to hunt is strong and persists past our physical ability to hunt in any real sense.

In the end, we're all here for only a short time. Enjoy your hunts to the absolute fullest. And enjoy your dad's hunts and just time to be with each other and be in nature.

• Like 3

Man this sounds like my dad to the T. I don't give him my spots anymore. To hard to find anymore.