Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

thanksgiving buck

I used to post alot on here and I became a lurker instead of posting. Anyways This past hunt was a hard one, my initial spot had 32 hunters on opening morning. Guess someone killed a 140 buck there and word got out and everyone showed up there. Over the 3 days I was able to spot 16 bucks and all of em were pretty small, not what I was going for. We saw a shooter on Friday and he looked to be about a 150 incher but upon closer look he had a tree branch in his antlers and we figgured him to be a 95 incher. Fast forward 2 days, on Sunday I went to the same spot, hiked up higher to shooting range at first light and found what i think is the same buck, he was pushing does (shoving his nose up their butts and all) lost him for about 5 minutes, during that 5 minutes trying to find him again I was able to spot 5 other bucks but knowing there was a big buck on the hill I passed them all up. 5 minutes later i was able to glass up the same does and they had moved a good 600 yards along the saddle and the big buck was with them, I set the rifle up and gave range, I gave the buck one warning shot and my daddy called it (hes the best spotter I know) and I made adjustments for the steep angle and nailed him, daddy said the buck wheeled up and then hobbled behind a tree and never came out. He stayed back while I went up to verify I killed the buck, there was a small 75 incher rolling with this buck and I jumped him at 15 yards which was a great sign, small bucks dont know what to do when their leader (bigger buck) is dead. I got to the spot where I shot the buck and he was 8 feet away dead, I screamed so loud and did my happy dance.

After we cleaned the buck up and hiked 3 hours downhill back to the truck, we met the nicest hunters. These guys were bout a mile away and they heard a scream and glassed up the mountain and saw me dancing, they knew I killed a big buck and they drove up the road and waited 2 hours just to see the buck I killed. They congratulated me and were the nicest people I have ever met in the hills. The buck surprised me, scored 101 and change. He's going on the wall folks.

Can someone flip the images for me? I suck at photos and technology

post-536-0-36524600-1480439131_thumb.jpg

post-536-0-15953100-1480439155_thumb.jpg

post-536-0-67337400-1480439179_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Congrats on a GREAT Buck! He is a wall hanger for sure.

Glad you were out there with your Dad. You're right. Nobody can spot/call shots better than a father!

Welcome back to posting!

Great buck....!! Funny to see the dynamics of the site change over the last 10+ years. You used to be one of the regulars. :)

ha ha ha thats awesome. Funny those guys waited for you to see the buck