Red Rabbit

Optimum Coues Cartridge?

6.5 SAUM. 140 berger hybrids sitting on top of H1000. 3,230fps. I was impressed with its performance on the 2 coues we took this past October. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on any hunt AZ has to offer.

How much powder do you have in that case?

Zeke. I'm running 61.5 grains. Norma brass, federal 215 primers.

I love it. I am doing a 6.5 GAP4s for my next build. Zeke, check out the load data on it. There's a great thread on Snipers Hide carried over/re-started by a guy calling himself Bob L Swagger. Same cartridge as the 6.5 saum with the shoulder blown out. Hornady is making cases with the GAP 4s headstamp and these guys are claiming crazy barrel and case life with the lower pressures.

6.5 SAUM. 140 berger hybrids sitting on top of H1000. 3,230fps. I was impressed with its performance on the 2 coues we took this past October. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on any hunt AZ has to offer.

How much powder do you have in that case?

Zeke. I'm running 61.5 grains. Norma brass, federal 215 primers.

I love it. I am doing a 6.5 GAP4s for my next build. Zeke, check out the load data on it. There's a great thread on Snipers Hide carried over/re-started by a guy calling himself Bob L Swagger. Same cartridge as the 6.5 saum with the shoulder blown out. Hornady is making cases with the GAP 4s headstamp and these guys are claiming crazy barrel and case life with the lower pressures.

Sounds cool. But right now I just got back with my 6.5-270 AI. I got the dies today, and im waiting for my bolt to come back (sent out to be fluted). Ill be fire forming soon and hope to give a write up

• Like 1

Currently for me its a 300 Norma mag with 230 grain Bergers. The caliber is fantastic - very accurate, is a pussycat to load and tune - and the performance of the 230 Bergers has been great. Is it overkill? Probably, but I like having the extra power - This year I had to make a quick shot on a buck with a less than ideal angle. But, I was confident I could place the bullet where I needed to, and knew the foot-pounds that would be put into that buck would be devastating (almost 3000 ft-lbs at the 510 yards). He never took a step and was dead almost immediately. Were it not for the "overkill", I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable taking that shot, and the buck could have walked. And I probably would have cried.

I shoot a 300 WM pushing 180 TTSX. I like the set up but I'm wanting an ultra lightweight Coues gun for packing in on a pack hunt. Im leaning towards a 6.5 CM, but the 6.5 GAP, 6.5-06, and the 264 WM all have what I'm looking for.

I am in the process of building a 7SAUM on a model 7 action. I plan on shooting 162 ELDX or Berger 168 VLD Hunting. I think it will be a great rifle for just about any game and hoping to keep the weight with scope and sling around 7 lbs. I was considering the 6.5 GAP, but wanted to shoot a little heavier grain bullets than the 6.5 offerings.

• Like 1

I am in the process of building a 6.5SAUM I hope it will prove to be the ultimate coues rifle.

You should like it a lot. It is very close to the 6.5 WSM.

Another possibility would be the 6.5-280AI. The case volume of the 280AI and the 7RSAUM are identical, so necking down Nosler 280AI brass to 6.5 should give a good long action alternative to the 6.5RSAUM or 6.5 GAP4S. I could see a minuscule volume advantage over the 6.5-06AI, but no fire forming needed.

270 Weatherby Mag with a max charge of IMR7828, 130 gr Nosler Accubond. 3500fps +- out of a 26" barrel. About as good as it gets! :)

Bill V

I use 3 different rifles depending on how I hunt.

If I climb high and sit I take a .300 Ultra. I know its overkill but it was built to handle everything up to elk at extended range and its paid for.

If I am running a mobile hunt I carry a lightweight 7mm-08 A.I. I built it after a New Mexico antelope hunt where I carried the .300 on a sling for 7 miles before I got a shot. My shoulder was killing me.

If I am working game trails in thick oak and juniper I use a AR-15 carbine in 6.8mm SPC.

Arguably there is no 1 perfect gun. That is the perfect excuse to buy more guns, right?

• Like 1