rambo

2017 Bison Tag

My buddy drew a July 21st - August 3rd cow tag. The adventure has begun.

I am the first Buffalo Assistant Helper in charge.

We are going to the AZGFD Seminar on December 17th.

Looking forward to meeting the other hunters.

-Curt

First Buffalo Assistant in Charge, that's a lofty title Mr. Rambo. Should be quite an adventure.

- Jeff

• Like 1

Best of luck to you. Did it in 2016- July 29-Aug 12. Logged 191 hours in a ground blind watching a block of salt. Bison seen-0. Pray for dry weather, and if your prayers are answered, you should get one. Rainy weather and everything changes. Get in touch with Russ Jacoby.

I've said it before, I would rather watch grass grow than sit in a blind for 191 hours waiting for a buffalo. Good luck to all of you that put in for these hunts.

Flame on.

• Like 1

That is too bad Tom. Definitely praying for dry weather.

I am in full blown Buffalo mode with only 7+ months to go. Figure I might as well enjoy the process.

I was on the hunt last year in July and August.

The week prior to my father and brother in law getting to camp they killed almost all of the tags.

The hunt they were on I believe they killed 2 of 12.

Wet weather ruins this hunt. Also you should know a little more about Russ Jacoby and how this whole thing goes down.

Basically you can pay or not.

Russ and his guides assign blinds for you to hunt.

If one person kills they try to put another hunter in the blind and repeat this process as often as the heard stays.

Last year a non paying customer shot his cow and failed to radio in to Brian that buffalo we're at the salt. So he screwed it up for the rest of the group.

Russ will take your money and he will also let non-paying clients use the blinds as well. That's is BS.

If you pay 4/5K to use Russ don't you think non paying customers should go to the back of the line?

This whole premise is that the salt blocks and blinds Russ sets up are the only blinds that should be used and he should control the whole hunt.

Well I would say if you want to DIY. You should set up your own blind and salt and be able to sit in your own spot.

But they assure you that going as a group helps , well it may but one mess up or bad apple on the hunt will screw everything.

IMO there should be no guides on the late summer hunt.

Spring hunts are another story.

In the summer almost all of the herd was in the park. I walked many miles only to find 100's of buffs in the park and only a handful coming off to salt.

Take this info as a block of salt.

You will sit 100's if hour in a blind. Don't get too prepared for a summer hunt. If anything get used to sitting in a chair in a dark room. Buy books, games for your phone, magazines. That's what you will need, not gear or any other expensive stuff.

• Like 1

I've said it before, I would rather watch grass grow than sit in a blind for 191 hours waiting for a buffalo. Good luck to all of you that put in for these hunts.

Flame on.

+1

I'm right there with you.

Total crap shoot on those summer hunts. Not for everyone that is for sure. One thing I can say for sure is that a roast prepared rare to medium rare from a yearling bison is the best wild game I've ever had!

Tim where did the non paying hunter kill the cow on the hunt you were on? Also what blinds did your inlaws hunt?

Hey Rambo I have the hunt first two weeks of June. We will have to get together and talk. Been fighting to get my password restored on here for a while now. Just gave up and made a new account.

• Like 1