Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

PSE Carbon Air 34 ECS

I hit up Ross Outdoor today and got some awesome help from one of the fellas there in my pursuit for a new bow. It's crazy how you can go into a shop with expectations about a product and have everything flipped around. I was almost certain at the start of my search that the Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo was the bow for me. I shot it and personally hated it. I also tried the Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34, Mathews Halon 32, Prime Centergy, PSE Carbon Air 34 ECS and Bowtech Reign. I couldn't believe how well the PSE Carbon Air shot with the new ECS cams. Not to mention, I am a backpack hunter so I was looking for something lightweight. That thing weights nothing at all! I was wondering if anyone here could clarify regarding the bow.

1. The website shows two mass weights. In various segements they list it at 3.2lbs, but in the specs they list it as 3.6lbs. I'm curious what the weight actually is if anyone knows.

2. Personally, I do not like any of the color patterns offered by PSE. Surprised at what they are offering given that they are in AZ and, in my opinion, the colors are all really dark. Does PSE have any customization offerings if you order the bow? Personally, I just want lighter colors and I'm hoping to change up the accessory colors. I could get a black bow, then send it off to be dipped in a pattern I like, but it looks like the black bow comes with red strings and accessories which I personally hate. Anyone have experience with PSE and changing some of this stuff up?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!

Well I didn't see any responses (I'm guessing no one knew the answer :) ), so I went ahead and called PSE to get clarification. I figured I would post the responses just in case someone else was looking for the answers.

1. Apparently the 2016 Carbon Air was 3.2lbs, but the 2017 Carbon Air 34 ECS is 3.6lbs. Bummed, I was hoping it was the lesser of the two listed on that products page.

2. I was very disappointed that they won't allow ANY color selections on the product. Being a western hunter, I am surprised they only offer Black and Mossy Oak Breakup, especially given that they are in AZ. I was also told that getting a different camo pattern applied to the bow would void the warranty. I also saw on their website that they have most of the accessories that come on the bow available in different colors, and was told they have various string colors in house. Unfortunately though, they will not allow you to request different color strings or accessories. You have to order the bow as is then buy additional products. Bummer, especially given that the other two big companies (Hoyt and Mathews) allow for so much customization. I know I might be a big baby, but when spending so much money on a product I was really hoping their customer service would kick in and help make sure you are getting exactly what you want.

I know I am way too much of a fanboy and the colors don't matter, but I'm pretty bummed about the options. I though I had made a final decision but now I'm just not sure.

For what it's worth, PSE customer service (pro shop) has treated me like crap every time I've been in there. I will probably never never buy another bow from them

• Like 1

For what it's worth, PSE customer service (pro shop) has treated me like crap every time I've been in there. I will probably never never buy another bow from them

That's actually good to know. The lady on the phone wasn't rude, but was far from friendly as well. I realize I am being a bit of a cry baby, but like I said, if I am spending that much money on something I would hope they try their best to keep a customer happy.

dang, now I'm even more nervous. I have a good buddy that managed an archery shop who told me the worst thing about them was their horrible customer service. Guess I shouldn't be surprised since their from Tucson :D

Thats sad to hear. Ive only dealt with their customer service a couple times, and it was good, but that was many many years ago. I havent shot a pse in almost 10 years now.

Bowtech has really great service, but the best customer service is the service you'll never need so the fact that I know how great their service is leads me to stay away from them. Currently, I'm giving mathews a try.

to the OP, I was in the same boat, I was a bowtech guy for 10 years, The PSE CA 34 changed all that this year. I currently have one sitting in my garage as we speak completely taken apart...I like to do things a lil different, I will be changing the color myself via-duracoat, I powder coat all my other bows but being Carbon powder coat is a no go, I have used duracoat on quite a few other things and the stuff is amazing, I will have to post some pics of it when it is done.

With that said, ive never worried about "warranty" think i would of with Bowtech, LOL!

PSE is making a amazing product and have been for years, im not to worried about using the "warranty". I know a few people within PSE and they have been nothing short of great to deal with.

Good luck with whatever bow you decide to run with, this is a fun time of year for new bow shopping!

to the OP, I was in the same boat, I was a bowtech guy for 10 years, The PSE CA 34 changed all that this year. I currently have one sitting in my garage as we speak completely taken apart...I like to do things a lil different, I will be changing the color myself via-duracoat, I powder coat all my other bows but being Carbon powder coat is a no go, I have used duracoat on quite a few other things and the stuff is amazing, I will have to post some pics of it when it is done.

With that said, ive never worried about "warranty" think i would of with Bowtech, LOL!

PSE is making a amazing product and have been for years, im not to worried about using the "warranty". I know a few people within PSE and they have been nothing short of great to deal with.

Good luck with whatever bow you decide to run with, this is a fun time of year for new bow shopping!

Thanks for the great post! Glad to hear good things about them as a company. I do get nervous about the warranty though. If the riser ever gets damaged or cracked (99.999% chance that NEVER happens haha) then I would have to rely on the warranty. I was told by PSE any coating would warranty it. I'm leaning a little more toward the Hoyt now because I appreciate their willingness to allow for a little customization and they have good customer service. The Carbon Defiant also weights the same 3.6lbs as the Carbon Air. Tough decision, but I can't wait to get my hands on a new toy!