Sign in to follow this  
Whitesheep

REI and Free Victim Zones

"I didnt see the sign" is a valid argument. Impossible to prove you ignored the sign, so I'd think as long as you leave if told to leave there's no law broken. Of course I'd like to think "I didnt see the speed limit sign" would work too... :D

Actually if the sign is of the proper type here in AZ ignoring it is breaking the law. Remember the store, in Vermont I believe, where a CC who was shopping ignored a similar sign, stopped a shooter intent on mass murder before he could do any real damage, but is being prosecuted by the store owners for breaking the law. Something about being tried by 12 vs. carried by 6 still fits.

how would they know youre carrying though? do you wave your gun around in the store

• Like 1

Follow their money trail, it goes right to the anti everything crowd that involves anything beyond hiking while munching on granola bars. ...... I have not shopped there in 20 years and wont ever.

• Like 1

Actually if the sign is of the proper type here in AZ ignoring it is breaking the law. Remember the store, in Vermont I believe, where a CC who was shopping ignored a similar sign, stopped a shooter intent on mass murder before he could do any real damage, but is being prosecuted by the store owners for breaking the law. Something about being tried by 12 vs. carried by 6 still fits.

how would they know youre carrying though? do you wave your gun around in the store
Some people just have to be badass and be attention whores at the same time.

post-8895-0-96104800-1481680180_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Sure, you can just ignore the sign if your are carrying discretely. Most CC holders have a story about finding themselves "carrying behind the sign" where nothing happened.

Regarding REI's reputation I don't disagree. However as fellow people who like the outdoors I don't fully understand why we can't get along. We all value the wilderness and seeing animals. It is just that some of us want to eat them and others just see them.

I believe showing non-hunting outdoors advocates, especially wilderness outdoors users that don't hunt, that we have many similar interests is good for the hunting community. It only takes one slob hunter with a bleeding deer strapped to their roof to piss off a non-hunter so much they start supporting anti-hunting groups like the Humane Society when before they just didn't care. If we focus on our mutual values instead of fighting against each other the future of hunting and wilderness access will be better for us all.

Those guys didn't do us any favors. As I recall they were protesting in Texas that they could not carry a handgun openly, but could a rifle. I agree with their position and this has been fixed. However, I think they caused more harm than good. If you scare a hoplophobe by displaying your big black gun, you just made an enemy we don't need. I like to hide mine and keep the holophobes unaware.

• Like 1

Sure, you can just ignore the sign if your are carrying discretely. Most CC holders have a story about finding themselves "carrying behind the sign" where nothing happened.

Regarding REI's reputation I don't disagree. However as fellow people who like the outdoors I don't fully understand why we can't get along. We all value the wilderness and seeing animals. It is just that some of us want to eat them and others just see them.

I believe showing non-hunting outdoors advocates, especially wilderness outdoors users that don't hunt, that we have many similar interests is good for the hunting community. It only takes one slob hunter with a bleeding deer strapped to their roof to piss off a non-hunter so much they start supporting anti-hunting groups like the Humane Society when before they just didn't care. If we focus on our mutual values instead of fighting against each other the future of hunting and wilderness access will be better for us all.

IMHO, this is a very naive viewpoint on the issue.

On a general level, the folks you are trying to make friends with would like nothing more than to make all our public lands into wildlife refuges with no hunting, take your guns away, and make our way of thinking go away forever.

The folks you want to make friends with do NOT play nice or fair.

Be very careful...

• Like 1

Those guys didn't do us any favors. As I recall they were protesting in Texas that they could not carry a handgun openly, but could a rifle. I agree with their position and this has been fixed. However, I think they caused more harm than good. If you scare a hoplophobe by displaying your big black gun, you just made an enemy we don't need. I like to hide mine and keep the holophobes unaware.

screw their feelings.

Ill spend my money wherever the deals are regardless of politics. In this case I happened to have a bunch of AMEX points to burn and REI was where I was gonna get gift cards for where I could get the best bang for my buck (or points). Still gonna ignore the signs unless I'm going into a bar. Especially if I'm going into a bar and I know I'm gonna be drinking, then the guns for sure at home or in the truck. As far as giving the left wing wackos ammo... Theres nothing wrong with being diplomatic but we are the enemy regardless of logic or common sense, theres no point in trying to appease anyone.

• Like 1

I never said appease and as a life member of the NRA and AZCDL such people are not my friends, but why piss them off intentionally? I take any opportunity I can to explain who pays for the wildlife to non-hunters like to see them. Waiving your big black gun in a hoplophobes face will accomplish nothing.

Gun Control: Pointing a firearm at the intended target and squeezing the trigger to obtain a hit in the desired area. The intended target can be paper, steel, dinner, or some jackass who is about to do serious, potentially fatal harm to you or others around you.

Gun Free Zones: A place where good, law abiding people are forced to congregate like lambs at the slaughter.

What a bunch of dopes.

Guest oneshot

The only gun control I endorse, one throax sighter shot, smilely face and blow-through center mass...

post-1378-0-15415200-1481918115_thumb.jpg