bigorange

Ruger .22 handgun comparisons

.22 handgun near the top of my list for next purchase...wondering if anyone has specific recommendations or comments between the various semi-auto models Mark I-IV, 22/45, etc...just looking for all-around plinking and teaching the kids handgun safety and letting them learn to shoot. Single-six revolver already on the list in and of itself.

I like the grip angle on the 22/45. It's accurate enough and 100% reliable. It's more of a pita to strip for cleaning than other models.

I have a Mark I that is about as old as I am. It has accounted for the demise of several bunnies, rock rats, and rattesnakes. Fun to shoot and reliable. My kids are currently learning pistol safety with this firearm.

There is a "trick" to reassembly. The first time I put it back together, it took a couple of hours. (this was in the pre-youtube days, youngsters). However, once learned, its not a problem at all.

• Like 2

I have a Mk II bull barrel that was my dad's and is almost as old as I am. I love that thing. My kids love it, but its also quite a bit heavy for them. After a couple of years of shooting it, my daughter saved some money and bought herself a Mk III 22/45. She absolutely loves it and so do I, especially since I shoot mostly 1911s, but I will be the first to admit that it needs a new trigger. I've shopped around and there is a replacement for about $100. The trigger is my only gripe on that pistol. My son really has his heart set on the 22/45 Lite, but we're not ready for him to have that at 9 years old. Maybe next year. I'm guessing it has sucky trigger, too, but I could very well be wrong on that one.

As for ease of taking them apart and reassembling, I'm the wrong person to ask. I need someone to teach me!

I really like Ruger. Their model 77 and revolvers are my favorite from them, their other firearms you can have, I'm not interested. The triggers can use a lot of work. I have the single nine 22 mag and a Super Redhawk 44 mag. Both have had trigger work done and they are to die for. I can't speak for the semi autos but have read good things about them. My opinion is to get the single six. Good luck, it should be fun either way.

• Like 1

I have a Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lite with fluted barrel. It seems to like the higher velocity loads to cycle well consistently. The magazines fit flush so if you choose one be careful with the kiddos pinching their hands when inserting a magazine which I've done a few times. Otherwise a pretty good gun.

I really like Ruger. Their model 77 and revolvers are my favorite from them, their other firearms you can have, I'm not interested. The triggers can use a lot of work. I have the single nine 22 mag and a Super Redhawk 44 mag. Both have had trigger work done and they are to die for. I can't speak for the semi autos but have read good things about them. My opinion is to get the single six. Good luck, it should be fun either way.

Yeah I may start with the single six plus 22 mag cylinder. That would be fun for many years.
  • Like 1

O.P., now you spoke of .22 win mag. The kel-tec pmr 30 is pretty nice. :) l have the ruger mkII, and its fine, but the keltec is pretty nice.

I grew up with a Mark I and it is a blast to shoot. The wife has a Mark II and it is also a blast to shoot. I can't really tell any difference between the two. The only problem I have is finding .22 ammo locally. I finally just bought a .17 WSM rifle since I can find ammo anytime I look.

O.P., now you spoke of .22 win mag. The kel-tec pmr 30 is pretty nice. :) l have the ruger mkII, and its fine, but the keltec is pretty nice.

Right I meant the single six with the added capability of also shooting .22 mag. Not familiar with the pmr 30...might have to take a look.

I have most of the Ruger's mentioned and they are very fun to shoot... I also have a 6 inch Smith & Wesson model 622 and a 4 inch model 422...both of these guns are extremely lightweight and balanced which makes them a good choice for beginners... even though they are out of production they're easily found on the various used gun websites......

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/81350-622-good-bad-model.html

The one I covet most, is my S&W model 41. Like the SW 622, its out of production, but its so sweet to shoot! By far, the best .22 pistol I've ever owned. They can be found used, but they aren't cheap.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/smith-wesson-pistols-model-41.cfm?cat_id=1244

• Like 1

IA Born is right. It doesn't get any better than a Model 41. I keep looking around for them with the hopes I find one some day, I would have no problem buying a used one. For semi autos, I have a Sig Trailside that has never given me any trouble and it has a real nice trigger. I don't think they make them any more but if you find one check it out. I also have an old Colt Woodsman. It's a fun gun, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because I can give me problems from time to time. The fun part about it is that it has a scope on it. I like these types of threads. We don't always have to discuss the big bores and 1000 yard guns.

• Like 2