down2hunt

2016 Rut Activity

...also watched a big muley chasing a doe and running off a smaller buck, down low, Monday evening.

As best as I can tell, the Whitetails are rubbing and pushing each other around, but not rutting. This is on both 30B and 36C. The mule deer are a different story! Saw a mule buck wandering around aimlessly and it was obvious he was not in his right mind. Also found evidence of a tremendous fight by the torn up ground, and the prints were mule sized.

Glassed up a big buck with his 4 does in 37B last Friday but they gave us the slip. Today I had a Muley at 50 yards and blew it. I picked up my range finder instead of knocking an arrow and letting her rip in 33.

Muley's were full on rut mode last weekend. Saw 3 different groups of deer all with big mature bucks that had swollen necks.

Almost made it happen on a nice 4 pt but alas, I suck again.

hunted 24B from 12/26-12/30

2 mature coues bucks, each following a single doe. Hot on their tails.

hard to stalk when they're on the move like that. Watched one buck chase doe all the way down the ridge to creek bottom, over 1/2 mile!!

passed on 2 small bucks within 30 yards, 2pt & 3pt, both with eye guards. And both grunting, moving with noses to ground.

alas, my holiday season over. But a good hunt nonetheless.

I hunt down in 34A, all I saw were does with yearlings and didn't see a single buck today. Did I miss it or has it happened yet? I spoke with a couple of guys on ATV's. They said they've been at it for 7 days, have seen a ton of does and no bucks. However, they did say the Muleys are at it. If I missed it, will there be a secondary estrus period for the ones that didn't take on the first try? Thanks for the help!

Guest oneshot

I hunt down in 34A, all I saw were does with yearlings and didn't see a single buck today. Did I miss it or has it happened yet? I spoke with a couple of guys on ATV's. They said they've been at it for 7 days, have seen a ton of does and no bucks. However, they did say the Muleys are at it. If I missed it, will there be a secondary estrus period for the ones that didn't take on the first try? Thanks for the help!

"hunters" on ATV's in 34a???... hahaha...

No Mark, you didnt miss the rut...( deer do not all come into heat at the same time, Bucks will be actively seeking for weeks to come...)

Both elk cows and Does if not bred will cycle one more time 30 days later. Mother Nature makes sure they get a second chance. I'll be in 37B on Monday and Tuesday with my pig tag in hand too. I'm gambling on MLK weekend when I'll be down south hoping a big boy walks by looking for love.

"hunters" on ATV's in 34a???... hahaha...

No Mark, you didnt miss the rut...( deer do not all come into heat at the same time, Bucks will be actively seeking for weeks to come...)

i was down there last weekend. on certain hills it's only does...on others it's on. it got a lot better after that last storm when it got very cold. you didn't miss anything...still developing in my opinion.

II was in 33 yesterday, saw couple of little bucks chasing, but the best buck I saw, mid 80's type of buck, was near the does but did not show any real interest in them

REDDOG

Saw 9 bucks by lunch time yesterday sitting in my stand all seemed to be acting pretty stupid chasing does. Shot my buck yesterday got on a doe.

Saw 9 bucks by lunch time yesterday sitting in my stand all seemed to be acting pretty stupid chasing does. Shot my buck yesterday got on a doe.

Wow that had to be a heck of a rush with all those bucks coming by

Yea one other about as big as the one I shot he wouldn't come any closer than about 90 yards. I had doe's all around me for almost 3 hours. I was sitting on re edge of a clearing they were pushing all over the flat I was on it was pretty cool. I was sitting a scrape line I found had 6 scrapes and 4 rubs on it.

• Like 1