down2hunt

2016 Rut Activity

from what I'm seeing bigger bucks still solo and large groups of does with no bucks. The little 100-150" bucks still hangin together in a few areas. 2-3 weeks for some rut activity in guessing with the bigger bucks and 2nd week of January should be on fire the way thing are looking now...

Up north near Mayer this morning, saw two groups of does without bucks,then another with a spike and then a great buck all by himself.

I'm hunting sortof near Prescott in mid elevation. I am seeing lots of does in small groups, not seeing many bucks. No obvious signs of rutting yet. Let's all please remember to say roughly where we are, so that this info can be useful.

• Like 2

Middle elevation in 22, (3200') had a little 3x4 mulie chasing some doe all over a mountain last week. Then settled down and grouped back up with his little brother, 6 doe and a little coues buck and doe.

Had to bypass that area yesterday due to the rediculous number of hunters. Saw very few doe and not a single buck.

More from the lower desert by Yuma, there are large herds of does with small forks and spikes. The bigger bucks were in bachelor herds yesterday with some having as many as a dozen bucks running together.

• Like 1

Was North of Prescott the past 3 days. Had a decent 4 point and a couple smaller bucks hanging around does. And another 4 point by his lonesome. Definitely pre rut. Had a great stalk on the 4 point. He never presented a good shot.

• Like 2

Was up northwest of Prescott, seen one group of about 8 does and a very nice 3x3 was hanging around the group. He was defineintly interested in the does.

JD