down2hunt

2016 Rut Activity

Finally starting to see some better bucks checking does in the desert. Getting more stupider too. In the last 2 days at work, saw twins 4x4s at 40 & 70 yards, and a big 3x3 today at 50.

did you choot em?

I have been out 3 times since Saturday and still haven't seen the bucks sticking with does. I have seen them come into the doe herds and not sticking around the next day. Just the spikes are sticking. This warm weather can't be helping. If it's worth anything, all the "rut" activity I have seen has only been in the evenings. I'll be out all day Friday/Sat/Sun .... let's how this changes over the weekend during the rain.

​I have been from the low desert to the high deserts and mesas, I have found the rut to be spotty at times. I have seen a few really good bucks out chasing, but very few of the bruisers that are normally seen this time of year chasing. Not saying I have not seen any, just a lower number of them. Have also seen bucks running together rather than chasing off and only a few fights seen.

post-5697-0-44343900-1484400601_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It has really picked up in my area. Heard from several people that the big boys have shown up and are running the smaller bucks out. If it's not full swing, it should be by the weekend.

Saw a lot more activity this weekend in my area. Finally had one of the big boys move in to kick out some of the spikes ... but let's be honest. I'm cool with a spike too. Glassed 4 or 5 bucks; drew back on spike before he decided to jump down into the wash to chase a doe .... overall good weekend.

• Like 2

Spent 4 days in unit 27 this weekend. absolutely ZERO rutting behavior from the mule deer. i glassed probably 150-200 does in an area that had a lot of good bucks in it all year. only saw 1 semi mature muley this weekend and he was all alone and was not interested in anything other feeding. real head scratcher for sure. the coues on the other hand were rutting real hard. every doe had a buck or two dogging them. my hunting partner missed a 105" type buck yesterday morning. really discouraging. the last few years the rut hasn't seemed to get going in the area i hunt until the last week of january and continues through about mid february. i get photos of big bucks on trail cameras pushing does all through february. rained all weekend but never got cold enough to freeze

• Like 1