Sign in to follow this  
azhornhunter

Mud Terrain Tires

I bought a set of 37-12.50-17 BFG MT KM2s 10 years ago, when my Ford F250 3/4 ton crew cab diesel 4x4 truck was new. I have had to purchase only 2 more since then in 122k miles. Gotta love Discount Tire warranties. They have bought an additional 8-10 or so.

I have read some reviews on them that said they were pretty decent for the money. That said, I like Nitto/Toyo (I think the same parent co) and I am becoming a fan of Cooper, which my son put on his Ford. I have also had great luck with Hankook tires, though have not run their Mud Terrains.

• Like 1

It would help if you guys stated what type of vehicle and mileage you are getting out of your tires. . There's a big difference between a 4k lb rig and one that weighs over 8k. Would be nice for Amanda to post a sticky with this info for future reference.

My experience with plenty of off-road travel, but limited pulling:

Dodge 1/2 ton Gas -

BFG A/T = 40k miles

BFG M/T = 30k miles

Toyo M/T = 40k miles

Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel -

Nitto M/T = 22k miles

Toyo M/T = 26k miles

Personally I would not run mudders on a daily driver, but for a mostly dedicated hunt/trail rig they can't be beat. Goodyear's have been, well, good to me, but no mud tire on a 3/4 ton truck that sees use is going to last long if daily driven from my experience.

I drive a 2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with a 7" lift. I just started looking at all terrains the past couple days. I have to drive on the highway about 120 miles to get to "therapy". So i would be ok some nice A/T.

• Like 1

Check out the Toyo RT. It is kind of between an AT and an MT.

Alot of diesel guys and jeep guys are starting to run them.

They are more aggressive than an AT but not as aggressive as an MT. If you are not running 15-20k miles a year on your truck though the Toyo MT might still be a good option.

Harley

i recently sold my 08 chevy with 7" lift running 35x12.50r20's. i could not keep tires on it to save my life. i wore out a pair of nitto MT's and Toyo MT's in less than 20k each set. i think 20" wheels are hard on tires. it's also hard to keep lifted trucks with IFS aligned. loved the truck, hated buying tires for it. Muds look cool, but nothing wears like an AT. i would look at the Toyo AT and the Nitto AT. they both have 50k mile warranties.

Preston, I ended up calling Desert Rat down in Tuscon. They actually have some pretty decent deals. I got a set of wheels, tires, lug nuts, and lock kit for $2k right on the nose with shipping. I ended up going with the 35x12.50R17 Toyo Open Country R/T. They come with a 45k mile warranty, and they're a good happy medium for highway and offroad. They're not as beefy as the Open Country M/T, but not as street as the Open Country AT II. Here's the Tire and wheel package I ordered. Should be here Friday or Monday.

Capture_zpsjbybysep.png

• Like 2

Hey PowellSixO those look nice and even appear to have a three ply sidewall. The snow siping is a bonus as well. Good choice.

• Like 1