elkhunter

Direct tv vs Cox

Moved into a new house, want to explore the pro's and con's of both. Course HD is an option, don't need the whole 325 channels like they offered on some of the packages.

My biggest observation is there is no contract with cox while there is a contract with direct tv. Other than that it comes down to pricing, services and quality of tv? Any advice?

Plan on your bill almost doubling when your "coupons" expire with Directv. Also plan on calling them and threatening to leave for Dish every few months to drop your bill a few bucks.

• Like 1

Dumped Cox in 2001- poor service- truck out every month for repairs- went to Direct TV until a year ago. Was with them 14 years- bill kept going up, crazy to pay $135 month for 4 TVs, DVR, no premium channels. Dumped Cox earlier this year, Cut the cord, now use Amazon Firestick- stream everything. Did 2 pay for apps- Hulu and HBO now- total monthly costs around $25. no buffering, get local channels with an antenna. never going back to cable or satellite if I can help it.

• Like 1

Used to have Cox and never had issues with them. Cut the cord years ago and never looked back between Netflix, Hulu, and Sling we stream everything at less than half the cost.

• Like 1

Used to have Cox and never had issues with them. Cut the cord years ago and never looked back between Netflix, Hulu, and Sling we stream everything at less than half the cost.

Wife and I did the same thing 2.5 years ago. No looking back.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of going with the rveal box. Any of you guys use it?

My wife wants to try that too. I havn't had much luck with reviews.

What everyone else said. They both blow chunks. I would cut the cord in a heartbeat, but the wife spends way too much time on the couch and has no other vision of the future.

Stopped directv about 2 years ago. Was paying 120 a month! Put that money towards a side by side so I can spend time with the family in the woods. Not sitting on the couch. Netflix and hulu keep us entertained now.

Same here. Cut the cord. Life is so much better now. Only thing I miss is some of the bigger games, but I'll head out for an evening if I really want to watch one.

• Like 1

Cut the cord years ago and just had over the air for local and Netflix (also had Amazon prime, but used mostly for free shipping). Last year, added Sling during the college football season to get the SEC channel. On Dec. 1, DirecTV Now streaming was launched. Signed up for it at $35/month for 100 channels (regularly $70/mo). Don't know if the $35 initial sign-up is still active or not. Downside is it isn't available through Roku (should be early next year) and doesn't have DVR. We've never used DVR so not an issue for us. Pre-paid the first month and got an Amazon Firestick at no charge. All seems to work well, at least for the first week so far.

Yup cut the cord and stream. You end getting more done around the house too. You don't end up watching espn eight or some other obscure channel.

• Like 2