Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Slinging Heavy Barrel Rifle

I carried a Savage heavy barrel 300 mag this elk season that I had a big fat muzzle brake to. This is the first time carrying this rifle in the field. The rifle is top heavy and always wants to invert and go muzzle down on the sling. It was pretty frustrating.

How do you carry your rifle and or what sling are you using to combat this?

I ended carrying it muzzle down sometimes because it was making me mad. I didn't like it though as I am afraid of jamming the muzzle in the dirt/snow.

Harley

I keep my rifle strapped into my outdoorsman pack. I hate carrying a rifle slung on my shoulder. I can move around much more freely with it in the pack. The only time it's on my shoulder is when I'm making a stock or if I'm approaching the animal after the shot.

If a quick shot presents itself while it's in the pack I can get out pretty fast but I don't want to take a shot at "jumped-up" game anyway so it's never been a problem.

• Like 4

If you have a synthetic stock you may have to add some weight to the butt to properly balance the rifle. The extra weight will also help reduce recoil. We're talking a few extra ounces here not pounds. Butler Creek makes a stretch rubber sling that grips your shoulder.

My heavy rifle I don't sling for the very same reasons you discovered, the price you pay is you don't have 2 free hands. If you are going into country that requires 2 hands you need a lighter rifle and put it in your pack.

I started using the Safari sling a few years ago and find it works for me. It lets you carry your rifle in a ready position with both hands free and you are always ready in case you do bump some game all you have to do is raise your rifle to your shoulder.

Either in my Eberlestock or with the Claw rubber sling.

+1