maximus

Opinions on coolers

Might be hard to believe but I have a yeti and a couple Cabelas brand coolers that look like yetis and they hold ice just as long. They are half the price and just as good I have found.

• Like 1

I've borrowed canyons and they are great. Layer them with frozen water bottles then just throw your food in them and you dont need ice in the cooler. Canyon coolers are also a local company.

• Like 2

Yeti 65 is what I have and I've been very happy with it. Lots of great coolers out there now with similar results in keeping ice. I myself have never tried any other brand other than Yeti and the coleman type coolers. So Yeti is by far the best I've tried myself.

They are built like beasts and are on the heavy side when empty.

• Like 1

One thing to remember is the sheer size of these coolers. My 65 quart Rtic cooler is huge but then you open it up and there's not as much room as you would think so looks can be deceiving.

^^^This^^^ I like my yeti,but for its size it seems like there should be more room in it. As others have said they are very heavy.

I honestly believe most of the Yeti thing is hype and marketing. Many of the coolers that cost less are just as good or better at keeping ice, and a cheaper.

• Like 1

I have a Yeti 120. It weighs 38 pounds empty. It was a gift and I'm very happy with how well it keeps things cold and keeps ice. I bought an rtic for my son in law. Half the price and it is an excellent cooler also.

I have both Yeti's and Canyon's and like them equally as much. The fit and finish is a little better on the Yeti but ice stays just as good in the Canyon. Key is to pre-cool regardless of brand.

• Like 1

I have pelican 65 and love it.

Canyon 22 love it.

Rtic 65 love it.

The 65's hold quartered mule deer and ice very well. Its nice being able to come home and relax a day or 2 without rushing to butcher it or get more ice

I honestly believe most of the Yeti thing is hype and marketing. Many of the coolers that cost less are just as good or better at keeping ice, and a cheaper.

I have to agree with Hoss50 on this one. The Coleman I picked up for $65 dollars holds ice as long as the ones mentioned here. It also weighs less and has a smaller exterior for the same interior size. It isn't bear resistant, but that is why the coolers are stored in the truck in bear country.

• Like 1

I have a 75 grizzly and a yeti that I think is the same size. I thought they would save me time during the hunt not having to go to town every couple days for ice. They work well if the highs are 40s or 50s. But on the Oct. hunts I still have to add ice every 3 days. Had the yeti in the truck at work all summer and never got over 3 days before the ice was gone.

I own two Canyon Coolers and a Cabela's Polar Cap. I've been happy with both. All the rotomolded coolers with a decent seal are good.

I bought the Canyon's because they are an AZ company (although I think they are made in Vietnam but not sure) and CWT.com sponsor. I bought the Polar Cap because it's made in USA, which is a big deal for me and they were ranked #1 by Field & Stream in their cooler review. Here's the link:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/03/ice-chest-throwdown-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed

I also like the handles on the Polar Cap which may take up a little more room but help in heaving a full cooler up into a vehicle.

I'd look at Orca Coolers too.

Bottom Line: All rotomolded coolers with decent seals will keep stuff cold for a long time. And it is a distinct selling point for me to find one made in the U.S. I'll happily pay a premium for that.

Bonecollector's tip about frozen water bottles (or platypus containers) is an excellent one. They freeze solid, won't soak your food/meat when they thaw (they may get a little sweaty but a towel takes care of that) and you drink the water as it thaws!

If you use them as a beer cooler the ice will last as long as any other ice chest with it being constantly open. I think where they shine is durability. Every year we replaced broken latches and hinges on our colemans. Yeti has been in the bed of my truck and ranger for 4 years now and gets beat up pretty regular and still looks new minus a few bruises. Plus I'm short and use it a lot as a ladder.

• Like 1