Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Elk Hunt

Well I thought I would post a few pictures on here of how my hunt went. It started off with a lot of scouting and we found these frequently:

IMG_1414.jpg

I also drew a 33 November Coues tag but I bought a bow deer tag just in case. These bucks were seen but I passed them up. Coues are my favorite but the back buck made me think twice

IMG_1490.jpg

We found this bird while scouting, i'm not sure if its a Golden Eagle or what it is

IMG_1516.jpg

I got a few pictures of bulls on the old trail cam:

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00204-1.jpg

I had a good chance to kill this coues but hit a tree limb and missed

IMG_1817.jpg

The hunt started and the rut was slow. We heard bugling only in the morning till 20 minutes after light and the bulls shut up. We sat water and only had a few bulls come in. We did find some crazy rut areas with rubs like these:

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

On day nine I snuck into a bull in his bed to put an arrow in him at 26 yards. He was quartering away pretty bad but I thought I could make the shot and put it where it needed to be, it worked:

IMG_1974_2.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

The hike back was fun, not too far but heavy:

IMG_2311.jpg

All in all it was a great hunt. I saw lots of big bulls and passed many bigger than this one. I hunted hard for the monster but couldn't pass this one up when things fell into place. He goes right at 340. I was happy with the results to a great hunt.

This next picture is last years bull. I've had two great years of elk hunting with a bow for me!

IMG_1116_2_2.jpg

Congrats on two nice lookin bulls. How did you get two tags in a row? Do you have pictures of some commish and a goat or what? Again, nice job.

Mike

Great bulls! Congrats to you on your success. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Phil

Nice bull! and thanks for sharing the story and all those photos. Yes, that is a golden eagle. Looks like an adult to me since I can't see any white on the tail. Must have been great seeing all that game and getting close to shooting that coues buck.

did you pack that elk out by yourself?? That's a workout!

Congratulations!

Amanda

Those are some amazing pics and an incredible bull! Congrats!