Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Badlands Down Jacket - Deep discount, worth it?

Members here who were watching certain specials pointed out the Badlands down jacket marked down from $399 to $99. I saw this and immediately thought it was a no-brainer.

When it arrived my first thought was "I have shirts a lot thicker than this". I guess my expectation was a full-on goose down coat. Honestly, I bought a goose down coat from Old Navy probably 20 years ago for $7 or something ridiculous that stuffs into its own pocket. When I fluff it out, people give me flack because it looks like I'm the Michelin Man but it is SUPER warm. Same year I bought a goose down vest, also from Old Navy for around $5 on clearance. Warmest vest ever.

I haven't worn the Badlands down coat out hunting yet. It's a very slim coat for down and honestly it looks like it would snag easily. Probably better for chilling around the fire. I was just wondering if other members here jumped on this great deal and were disappointed.

I personally love mine. I was given a very similar cabela's down jacket a few months ago. I was very, very sceptical about it actually working. After my first morning I was absolutely sold on puffy jackets. I've since then bought several lower priced down jackets and have loved each one. I'm sure I will love this one too!

I sure hope this one "poofs out" a little at some point. The whole point of down is the air inside the feathers. So far, this wears more like a jean jacket than a down coat.

Coach,

I just got mine also. And I agree, I'm a bit worried about the purchase for the same reasons as you. Maybe throwing it in the dryer under low heat for a bit will get it to poof out?

I also received mine yesterday. I thought the same exact thing....I have fleece sweatshirts that are thicker and half the price (at the $99 price). Seems to be very lightweight, but warm so far. I'm heading to Seattle next week and planning on bringing it to wear. I imagine that will give me a good idea with the wind and rain. But from the first look, glad I paid $99 rather than $400. Doesn't seem like a $400 jacket.

Maybe throwing it in the dryer under low heat for a bit will get it to poof out?

Can't comment on the jacket but drop a few tennis balls in your dryer along with the jacket and run it on air dry/lowest heat setting and it will fluff out the down.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in the field, or here around home when I'm blowing snow.

Thanks to all who have responded.

It's not real goose down is maybe why it doesn't poof? From Badlands..... Through the magic of science, Badlands‘ down is not only waterproof, but actually generates its own heat (up to 6 additional degrees) when it makes contact with the human body (freaky, we know). The result is a weight-to-warmth ratio never before possible. For the record, no geese were harmed during the making of this jacket, but we can’t say what will happen to them while you are wearing it...

I have noticed that the poofiness and outer shell seems nearly identical to the Kuiu Superdown. I had the same reaction when I first saw received it. I suspect the Badlands version will be very similar. I asked an "expert" about it (the superdown) and he told me it is the difference between quality down and cheap stuff you might pick up in a low end department store. Unlike the really poofy stuff, high quality down doesn't need to be super thick and poofy to get the job done.

Also, like with the Kuiu Superdown, I wouldn't wear it through nasty thick stuff like catclaw, mesquites, etc. I don't think the shell will hold up to that. Again, I was told that it is a warm outerlayer meant to be packed around till you stop moving and start to really cool down, like when glassing for hours.

Time will tell. I am anxious to put mine to the test.

• Like 1

I have the Kuiu Superdown as well. I was skeptical about performance due to the "lack" of puffiness. But it performs very well in cold and wind. I cary it in my pack until glassing or riding my atv. It is a great piece of gear. There is a huge difference between quality 850 goose down and the cheaper 650 down that is usually mixed with feathers. The Badlands packaging/tags should specify wat it is, especially if its the good stuff.

Gents,

Put your Badlands jackets in the dryer for 15 minutes with either some tennis balls or a couple pairs of jeans, spin on low-mid heat.

You will be pleasantly surprised. I was.

Apparently the smart people who designed the jacket picked the right filling material. If you gonna stuff the jacket in your backpack,

it will compress down to a wafer thin size and won't take up a ton of precious space like some other jackets would.

Merry Christmas All.

• Like 1