Cell4soul

Barbary/Aoudad

Thinking about trying to do an Aoudad hunt. Looks like New Mexico may have some opportunity for public land hunts, although it appears to be a very difficult hunt on public land. Unit 34 appears to have quite a bit of public land. Does anyone have any info or advice on a DIY public land hunt for Barbary/Aoudad in New Mexico?

Are you looking to do the OTC or the draw hunt in 34? I have filled 2 OTC and have been present for an additional 2 sheep tags in 34. It seems there are less sheep then there used to be. a few years of OTC has brought the population down. It is absolutely doable still. If you are looking for a large ram you may want to try the draw hunts.

Are you looking to do the OTC or the draw hunt in 34? I have filled 2 OTC and have been present for an additional 2 sheep tags in 34. It seems there are less sheep then there used to be. a few years of OTC has brought the population down. It is absolutely doable still. If you are looking for a large ram you may want to try the draw hunts.

Thanks for the reply. I am fine with the draw units and take my chances. Any recommendations on a decent draw unit with public access?

I have never put in for the draw. I am currently deployed so missed the FEB draw season and will not be local next year due to moving again, that has forced me into just putting in the miles and time to find them in the OTC areas

• Like 1

Are the draw hunts better because of more game, time of year, or better/less rugged terrain? For under $500 it seems like a good way to get some exercise.

More game but also more private land. I might get a year round tag just to go hunting because I am close to Water Canyon (Mt. Taylor) and Farmington. There are a few sheep in there but not nearly as many as the SE part of the state. Kind of like getting an off Florida Mnts. ibex tag, you might get lucky and see one but chances are you won't.

• Like 1

Oh ok. Is OTC still an option?

I think it may be possible to still do this through an outfitter. I plan to do this in 2018 or 2019. I couldn't afford to put in yet due to all the other "upgrades" to hunting gear this year. I haven't tallied my expenses yet, but I am pretty sure it is pushing $10k in gear thus far.....thankfully those expenses are almost done for the year.

If you want to try to put something together for the next couple of years, let me know. I'd be up for a DIY hunt, but I have heard it will be difficult and it would be tough to scout that far away.

• Like 1

Your best bet would be to do a sef guided hunt on a west texas ranch. Will run 2-3k but will be hunting good populations and won't need to make scouting trips

• Like 2

Oh ok. Is OTC still an option?

I think it may be possible to still do this through an outfitter. I plan to do this in 2018 or 2019. I couldn't afford to put in yet due to all the other "upgrades" to hunting gear this year. I haven't tallied my expenses yet, but I am pretty sure it is pushing $10k in gear thus far.....thankfully those expenses are almost done for the year.

If you want to try to put something together for the next couple of years, let me know. I'd be up for a DIY hunt, but I have heard it will be difficult and it would be tough to scout that far away.

I'll keep in touch

Yes OTC is still 100% and option for this fall and the tag will be good through the end of March. I have killed two

OTC rams now. They aren't any 30in monsters but I am happy. If you re just looking for any sheep it is very doable. I am in El Paso, let me now if you head out to NM

Matt

• Like 3