Sign in to follow this  
YoungHuntr

Long road leads to my first deer

Hunting has been a passion of mine for some time now, and I've always kept in mind the basic principle that why we hunt is not to kill something. It's about spending time outdoors, getting together with friends, family, and eating good food (my grandfather was perhaps the best cook I ever knew). Getting some game meat is just a bonus. My late grandfather, who I learned a lot from during the annual family hunting trip, taught me that. I looked forward to the annual deer camp more than any other event throughout the year. Taking a deer is always secondary to getting together with family.

That being said, having never taken a deer before today, it definitely was a goal of mine. Eight years of coues hunting without a buck has lead to the running joke in my family that we go "camping with rifles". I've had some unfortunate encounters rifle big game hunting on my own, including two hit but not recovered elk, and two shots at nice whitetail bucks that didn't connect (one was my fault estimating range, the other an unforeseen problem). I took up archery hunting last year to augment the once a year rifle hunt, and I've stuck to unit 37b as it's close to home. I was able to take an archery javelina earlier this year. After failing to connect on my rifles coues hunt I knew I'd have to focus on mulies close to home. Between work and finishing up the semester, I didn't have much time until this week. I hunted Monday and Tuesday and saw a total of two does, but had some close encounters with deer I didn't see.

Today started off differently, immediately getiing up close and personal with a forky buck and his two does. The does busted, and the buck never gave me a shot, standing behind a palo verde not 30 yards from me for a couple minutes. After doing some hiking, me and a friend who's never hunted (who I took out to show him some of my favorite country) made a stand off the road aways. The wind had switched, forcing me to a section I have never hunted before, so I didn't know what to expect. But after a few minutes of calling, we began to hear footsteps. Suddenly, I saw antlers as a lone buck made a beeline towards us. He stopped about 25-30 yards away, between two cholla. I waited for a moment, and decided I could easily get an arrow between them. I drew back and put the pin on his vitals, and released. I heard an unexpected, foreign noise, and knew an unseen twig or branch had made contact with the arrow. I thought I had missed, but turning back to my hunting partner, he told me he thought I had hit the buck. I walked around, looking for the arrow or blood, and my friend pointed behind me. Sure enough, the buck was still around, and had been hit hard. As it turns out, the arrow deflected upwards and to the left, hitting him in the forehead. I took a follow-up shot but rushed the it, and hit too far back. I took a deep breath, settled my nerves, and put one right where it needed to go. I waited for thirty minutes, but my deer was right where I had left him.

It wasn't perfect. I made some mistakes, failing to account for brush between me and the buck. I rushed the follow up shot, wanting to make sure the buck was down cleanly. I've made plenty of mistakes in my short time hunting, but I try and learn from each one of them to become a better hunter. Ultimately, I had my first buck. He just minutes after the first shot, was field dressed within 45 minutes, skinned and to Miller's for processing in under 5 hours.

It was a bittersweet moment. I had my first deer, a fine young buck, on the second to last day that I could manage to hunt for the year. It wasn't picture perfect, but these wily desert deer are always teaching me something. He's no monster, but a real trophy to me. These desert deer are tough to hunt, especially with a bow. I had just a few days to fill my 2016 tag, and though I'd take this buck any day of the year, I was especially happy to have the opportunity to get some meet before January 1st. Ultimately he'll make some good eating, and I think grandpa would be proud.

IMG_3850_zpsja7jxg3e.jpg

• Like 26

That's awesome. Congrats to you. I have never heard of anyone calling in a desert mule deer, you learn something everyday.

• Like 1

Congrats to you on your first deer. Bowhunting in az is all about persistence! Tough country and tough animals. Way to stick with it and get it done!

• Like 1

Congrats on a great first Deer, mistakes are just a part of learning and becoming a better hunter. Every outing is an opportunity to gain knowledge, never stop learning.

• Like 1