Sign in to follow this  
varnco

24A - Pinal Mountains - Snow?

Thinking of heading up to Pinal mountains tomorrow or this weekend.

I see there's some snow up there... how are the roads, especially towards the top?

I have 4WD but my tires are quite a bit more worn than last year, almost time for replacement.

I was able to make it through the 6-8" snow last December, but I had about 25K worth of more tire tread than this year.

I can think of 1 member on here I had to go pick up from a Carl's out in mesa due to a truck stuck in snow up there few years back. If I remember correctly it was late night wet and cold walk out, awkward stay over at strangers house, tow truck could not help so drive to mesa where I picked up and truck was resued a week later. If I remember correctly I believe he said that was a pretty expensive season for him.

I will be heading up tomorrow, but will take the 4x4 to a reasonable distance, but then switch to the ATV for the remainder of the trip, once it starts getting dicey.

Should cost less to extract an ATV than an F150. :-)

Going with a buddy too, so there's backup.

Went up today, and it's not that bad until you get to the part where you go left to continue going up the mountains or, you can go straight and get to some buildings at the top of the hill. The GPS coordinate is here, afterwards it gets somewhat nasty. 33.29693, -110.83998

I posted a pic earlier in this thread with the service truck that slid/got stuck last year... I have a pic of the same spot this year.. look similar, but last year was a bit worse.

33.29693, -110.83998

• Like 1