Sign in to follow this  
longshooter

Opinions and reviews on vortex viper pst scopes?

I picked up a 6-24x50 ffp viper pst scope for a kimber mountain accent in 300 wsm I picked up as a back up gun. Haven't shot it yet since I haven't reloaded any ammo for it yet . I went with this scope mostly due to the weight of it since I wanted to stay light weight, be cheap because it's a off the shelf gun and the guy at cabelas talked highly of them.

What's your guys opinions on these scopes that have time behind them? I have been noticing lately that a handful of guys are selling them and a couple negative remarks . Wondering if I should take it off and buy a Swarovski or something else before I start sighting in the 300 wsm and work up a load.

Thanks

I have two and really like them. Very hard to beat for the money.

I have one as well. I have 0 complaints. You're always going to find negative comments (as you already know) and of course it's not a Swarovski or Nightforce but for the amount of money you save - they are absolutely worth it in my opinion.

I have a Viper HT 4-16-40 on a AR. It's close cousin of the PST. The first few times I used it the optical quality bothered me a bit. I was used to only looking through a pair of Nightforce NSX scopes. Then I did a reality check, opened my wallet and looked at how much extra money was still there. Optical quality improved substantially. My scope passed a 36" tracking test at 100 yards for both elevation and windage dead on. It serves me well on the AR which is just a plinking toy and not a main hunting rifle. I think it should be a fine scope for your backup rifle. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need. Look around and you can find negative comments about Nightforce or Swarovski also.

I have had two of them and they both sucked.I sent them back at least two times each for warranty work. Sold them both. When they did work, they seemed to track well.

Mine so fare works. Does well for the price! Glass is also great compared to the 300-500 scopes out there. The 1500-2500 it has nothing on it. I hit plate 1000 yards with my 300 win mag with it so it can do the job.

I have looked through quite a few, and have quite a few rounds behind some.

They are a budget minded man's step into better glass. Better than a lot of glass, but not "Wow!". I think the reason they get a bad reputation is because of the sheer volume of them out there, and some have issues that get publicized by the vocal opponents of them.

For me, they are a decent midrange glass. I do not own one else, and I keep wondering WHY I don't. The reason is because I have looked through far better glass, and I cannot bring myself to go backwards in my ever evolving quest to better my optics.

For what they are, they are a good option. Lightweight, fairly "inexpensive", adequate glass for 80% of shooters, fairly good features. If I had a dedicated "loaner rifle", the PST would be a frontrunner candidate to go on it.

I am just one of those guys that would rather spend $2k-3k+ on a great scope vs. $1k on a decent scope. Shooting and hunting is my vice. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or have a big truck or house payment, so I buy expensive toys.

I absolutely love mine! I have never had 1 problem at all. Tracks great. Killed my coues at 707 yrs this year. I would recommend a Kenton Ind. Custom turret to put on it. Its not swaro but its not $3000.

Junk! Cost my old man a 180" buck on the bab two years ago. Sent it back to vortex and they worked on it. Sold it after that, not taking a chance like that again. Nightforce, Leupold and Swarovski on our rifles now. They all stand by their product like vortex but the difference is you won't need to use the warranty with these companies.

• Like 1