Elmacho

Expert Opinion

Happy New Year!

With the draws coming up, I pose this question!

19 Points as a resident ready for Early Rifle in a premier central AZ unit.

What do you all think of the Early Rifle season being moved back a week?

I realize 19 might not get it, but what if?

El-

this might be wrong but I have always read and been told that in AZ the peak of the rut is on average considered to be Oct 1 which is right in the middle of that hunt.

• Like 2

I am far from an elk rut expert but seems like you'd be hitting prime time. I'd be worried about broken bulls though.

I do know a little bit about the draw and I'd say 19 might well give you a tag in some of the early rifle units. I'd say it definitely gets you a tag in some Muzzleloader units.

Wow, you have more patience between hunts, than I do! I would say, just stay after that elite tag, and get a guide that has many "eyes" out in the field to make sure you get one!

From my experiences in units # 1 and 27 the elk annually warm up their vocal cords for the upcoming rut about August 16-17 and then go pretty silent until about Labor Day. I call the August 16 quack the pre-function function. They get pretty vocal in early September until the first elk hunt starts and then a 5-7 day "less silent period" occurs. The "rut" kicks in another notch about September 21-23 and hits the peak about October 1. The audible fall off significantly by October 5 which seems to signify the end of the normal rut. A second rut of lessor intensity occurs in mid-October for the cows that were not breeded in September. Most of the audible is silenced by the first week in November. Cows particularly, and a few bulls, will quack off and on from November until August, when the process seems to repeat itself.

• Like 2

I am far from an elk rut expert but seems like you'd be hitting prime time. I'd be worried about broken bulls though.

I do know a little bit about the draw and I'd say 19 might well give you a tag in some of the early rifle units. I'd say it definitely gets you a tag in some Muzzleloader units.

don't promote the muzzy hunt man! I have a chance this year haha!!
  • Like 1

How long did it take to accumulate 19 points

I'm going out on a limb, but I would guess 17 years.

• Like 2

How long did it take to accumulate 19 points

I'm going out on a limb, but I would guess 17 years.
Thats a long limb.

That's what she said

• Like 1