CatfishKev

License before 10 years old

Can you even get your kid a license before ten? I know they can't hunt as the regs state but I'm wondering if I could get my 8 year old a license and start buying points ahead of time? I assume the answer is no but...

• Like 1

They can't buy points. However, they can apply for big game once they are 9 years of age, as long as if they draw, they are 10 before the hunt begins. Since this is the case, they have to be allowed to purchase a license once 9 years old.

• Like 1

If mom doesn't hunt, buy points and a license for her. When she is drawn after he is 10, transfer the tag

This is probably going to start this year for my 2 boys. I have an almost 5 year old that I am hoping to get a decent hunt at a young age.

Cant take moms, I'm banking them for her. Maybe its time to hit Grandma up!

Not looking to get them high value tags, just wanted a sure thing for the 23 youth elk hunt. Just trying to think ahead a hair is all. Already planning on doing the saftey course etc.

I started purchasing class F adult hunt and fish licenses for my kids when each of them turned about 6 years of age...I did this because they were then entitled to keep full limits of fish...this was always far easier then my trying to explain to them why Daddy or Mommy could keep fishing and they had to stop when they only had half as many fish...I did not mind in effect donating a little extra to the AZGF...I started buying them adult licenses in about 1990 after 1st running it by the Phoenix AZGF office who while admitting it was somewhat of a novel idea saw no violation of the law...several times while in the field I was required to explain to the AZGF officer why my kids had a few more fish on their stringer then initially seemed appropriate...My kids always very proudly produced their licenses for an inspection and I never had an officer do anything other than smile and maybe shake their head in agreement that I was in fact following the letter of the law... obviously there's been numerous changes to Arizona's fishing and hunting Licensing Laws since the 1990s...I did a quick review and did not see anything that would prohibit me from doing the same thing again...However I strongly suggest that anyone considering following my lead in this matter first review the current laws with the Phoenix AZGF office..........

*it's legit adult license= adult bag limit.. No problemo. Same as kids can apply for generally tags just gotta pay generally fees. I think the half bag limit deal is lame but they gotta do it or many daddy's will fill that stringer and claim them as kids.

I used to buy my son the adult hunting license so he could shoot a full limit of Dove. Never had a problem!

You can get him a license. But he cannot apply for draw hunts UNTIL he hits 9, and only IF he will be 10 by the start of the hunt and have his hunter's education card by then. I bought Taylor's hunting license, and applied for elk, antelope, and deer when she was 9. She turned 10 in June, and had her hunter's education card before any hunts would have started. She did not draw that year, but did get a BP for each species.

Make them start at the bottom like most of us did. Don't ruin a young kid with a premier tag.

I never really understood this line of thinking. 'Don't ruin a young kid?' :lol:

When my oldest son was 12 years old I put him in for a Jr. Hunt in New Mexico. He was drawn for an 'any elk' rifle hunt, smack in the middle of the rut, in one of New Mexico's many great hunting units. We had an amazing hunt but short hunt, as he killed a great 6X6 on opening day. This past fall at the age of 22, he killed a nice spike bull here in AZ and considered it another amazing hunt! Not ruined at all. ;)

That being said, I say everyone should raise their kids exactly how they think they choose to do. Get them involved in hunting early and show them why we all love it so much however you want to. I never tried to pile points up for any of my kids early, but more power to you if you want to!

Good luck to ALL kids!!

S.

PS: As a side note, I haven't checked recently, but New Mexico used to have amazing Jr. Hunt opportunities! Based on the non-resident draw & tag allotment, there seemed to be good chances for kids getting drawn for great hunts (ANY elk in the rut?? lol). Anyway, if you have kids of hunting age you might want to check it out! :)

• Like 2

They can't buy points. However, they can apply for big game once they are 9 years of age, as long as if they draw, they are 10 before the hunt begins. Since this is the case, they have to be allowed to purchase a license once 9 years old.

You can get him a license. But he cannot apply for draw hunts UNTIL he hits 9, and only IF he will be 10 by the start of the hunt and have his hunter's education card by then. I bought Taylor's hunting license, and applied for elk, antelope, and deer when she was 9. She turned 10 in June, and had her hunter's education card before any hunts would have started. She did not draw that year, but did get a BP for each species.

I don't have the regs in front of me, but I'm pretty sure they have to be 10 before the hunt ends, not before it starts. If they turn 10 during the hunt, they should be legal to start hunting during the hunt as soon as they turn 10. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've heard AGFD discuss this at our Hunter Ed classes we put on up here.