Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

Questions on the next setup...what off the shelf platform, various 6.5 options...

I have a custom 7mm rem mag that i built at phx custom rifles...overall it's everything i wanted it to be. shoots 1/4 MOA and stinks of quality....

now that i have the bug, i'm thinking about doing another rifle. i'm not keen on dropping the kind of money i did on the first build though. i'm looking for something that is off the shelf and with some reloading i can get it to 1/2 MOA +/-. I'd like it to be a lower caliber setup that i could get my kids started on, but not so low that it's use in the field is narrow. Something good for deer, cow elk, bull elk (with a well placed shot or right bullet), and long range target shooting (up to 1k). I was thinking a 6.5 CM would be a good step down from the 7 mag but still offer that utility.

Question 1: i'm confused by all the various derivatives of 6.5. Can someone explain the differences? i'd like to identify a version with good ballistics and ideally one that will prolong barrel life.

Question 2: As to the platform, i'm considering a Tika Lite or Savage LRH. Thoughts? Any other option i should consider? i'm thinking a grand for the rifle (give or take) and maybe a nice vortex scope or something better i find used but in good shape.

Thx

Miles

If you're looking for something smaller, id be looking for something a little more drastic then .5 mm. I'd look at 22-250 (they are a BLAST within 600), 243, bolt 223 with a 1:8 twist.

Of course, this all depends on what you're goals are.

To bad you don't want another full custom. I'm doing a custom 6.5creedmoore on a bighorn TL3 and I'm almost done with a ruger American I barreled in 260 rem with a krieger no #17 heavy varmint.

For off the shelf ruger Americans are pretty good.

6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem

Plenty for mid range deer, antelope.

Long range javalina, coyote, etc.

Short to medium elk too.

Little recoil, cheaper to shoot, good factory ammo, great reloading components available.

The Savage LRH is a heavy rifle. But a good one.

The Tikka T3 Lite is a great choice too.

The .243 Win, .243 WSSM or 6mm rem would be decent choices too, if you can find a fast twist barrel. I would want to shoot 100-115gr. bullets in the 6mm bore.

Don't discount the quarter bores either. .250 Savage, .25-06, .25 WSSM, .257 Weatherby. Most have a 1:10" twist, enough to stabilize the 115 Bergers, but a 100 TTSX will be zipping and good for smedium range elk too. I love my .25-06 AI. for deer.....and if I could ever draw a stinking speedgoat tag.

Just finished load development on my 6.5 creed I just had built. Pretty impressive round with very little recoil.

CZ in 6.5x55 will be my next rifle for myself. I want to have a nice handy rifle that is light, won't kick hard, and will be plenty accurate for hunting. The set triggers on the CZ's are pretty cool too.

Tikka and savage are making nice accurate rifles in 6.5 calibers too.

All of the 6.5's are pretty good. 6.5 Creed is the cool guy round and 260 is another good one. Both of them don't do anything any better than the old 6.5x55. I like old school though, and I handload so I have no issues with the 6.5x55. There are a ton of great choices in 6.5MM. A 264 win mag with a brake would be awesome too.

As lance mentioned too, don't overlook the .25 cal. I have a 257 Weatherby that is great. It is a basic vanguard model from Weatherby and with handloads will shoot .5-.75MOA pretty consistently. I put down my cow elk 2 years ago with this rifle at about 280 yards. A .257 Roberts AI or 25-06 or 25-06AI would be cool too. Assuming you handload.

Tikka T3 is a great off the shelf rig. I've never heard anyone complain about anything but the plastic "bottom metal", which can be swapped out. My son has one in 22-250 and it is a great shooter.

I've personally shot two different ruger predator's in 6.5 cm. They both shot 1/2 moa with factory ammo. They both had timney triggers. If your looking for a great shooting gun that can be used as a beater I highly recommend this gun!

Tikka T3 is the way to go for off the shelf! Pick one up a 260 rifle for around 650 dollars or a Tikka CTR 260 or 6.5 creedmoor. Sadly tikka doesn't make a standard 6.5 creedmoor rifle.

You can build it without breaking the bank. I had a 300 rum built at PCR last year and had close to $4000 into it before the scope. I also had a fast twist 22-250Ai built by a guy up in Cordes for just over $1000. Built on a Savage 11, Douglas rem varmint contour 26" 1in7 twist barrel, Bell & Carlson M40 stock. It's shooting 3" groups at 900yds with 80gr Berger vld. We've dropped one coues with it so far at 566yds. Besides all that this rifle is more fun than any one person should be allowed to have.

Remington 700 long range in 25-06. Add an aftermarket trigger of your choice and you should still be in it for under a grand.

• Like 1

I am plus 1 for the ruger american predators. I am shooting 1/2 moa or better if I do my part with reloads in the 6.5 creedmoor. I have a buddy that has one coming with a MDT chassis system that I am interested in trying and a timney trigger set at 2.5 lbs.

For off the shelf quality, the Tikka is where it's at and if it were me I would pick up the T3 in 6.5x55. In a modern action, it will out perform the Creed and come real close to the 6.5-284 while not using any more powder than the Creed. High quality Lapua brass is cheap and easy to get and it will just plain shoot with a variety of different powders. It's probably one of the easiest cartridges to load for and will give you the half moa you are seeking and then some.

• Like 2