Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2017 Javelina

Before I write out the story keep in mind I lived in Washington for a year and kinda forgot how to stalk javelina.

This year there was no problem glassing up herds, was finding 2-3 herds a day and pulling off 2-4 stalks a day. My biggest problem was getting too close and getting busted by a pig I didn't see. Had to pull off 7 stalks to seal the deal. On 3 stalks I got caught in a stare down with no shot at 4,6,and 6 yards. My rangefinder does not work at that distance so I had to pace it off to find out how close I actually got. All the other stalks presented me with zero opportunities while the pigs worked/fed their way in the wrong direction of the wind. Never spooked any herds, they just woofed and padded off.

On Sunday at first light I was able to find a new herd and this impressed me, I glassed them up 2 miles off with my swaros! (actually 1.94 miles on topo map but I like to round up). Took a while to get to them and got within 40 yards but was trapped due to wind and the sun. If I stood up my shadow would be on the pigs so I had to do the crawl for a while. After an hour I was able to locate a pig that can present a shot. Worked my way in to 14 yards and gut shot him. A few months ago I broke and dislocated my shoulder so I'm using a 40 lb draw bow and can only hold it back for a few seconds. Pig was bleeding pretty good, I tracked him to a bush and he came out woofing and he chased me and I pretty much ran uphill 50 yards screaming. After that he ran down into a wash and i tracked him to a small little cave about 2 ft wide and 1 ft tall, he was plenty alive and my only shot was to his face so I shot from 2 feet away, knowing that I need to be as close as possible to penetrate that thick skull with a 40 lb draw bow. It worked, pig #15 was down.

Javelina1_zps9nbimtwx.jpg

Javelina4_zps9tdbd7sk.jpg

[/url]

Javelina3_zps3ghpuw3p.jpg

For some of you it may sound like an unethical shot, it was my only shot I had and wanted to put the pig down since he was gut shot and in pain. It was a small opening and he was on the side in the little cavern.

• Like 11

Nice work.

The way I see it.... first shot needs to be broad side in the vitals but with follow up shots my "ethics" get a little looser.

Good job Tyler! Sorry to hear about the shoulder that's something that's going to follow you forever. I hurt my shoulder sophomore year of high school and it still gives me fits! Good job on overcoming adversity and getting the pic down! Nice to see you posting here again as well.

• Like 1

Cool story. Loved that you admitted running away while screaming.

On a serious note: once you find the animal that you've shot with a bow and see that it's still alive, is it legal to use your side arm to finish him off quickly?

On a serious note: once you find the animal that you've shot with a bow and see that it's still alive, is it legal to use your side arm to finish him off quickly?

No it is not. Would open a huge can of worms. Would be too easy to shoot with firearm first then put an arrow through it. You cannot use the firearm to take the wildlife.

No it is not. Would open a huge can of worms. Would be too easy to shoot with firearm first then put an arrow through it. You cannot use the firearm to take the wildlife.

Thanks.

Congrats!! Glassing up 2-3 heard's a day??? I have never glassed up javalina yet. Thousands of deer but not one pig

• Like 1

thanks everyone! Casey- it feels good to post stuff on here again, I did 1000 post from 2004-2008 and maybe 15 since then!

Zeke- theres 7 herds of pigs that I have been chasing for 20 years, every year they are usually in the same area, its nice that I hunt in probably the worst javelina unit in the state of AZ other than 13B and 12AW

And no, if its an archery tag you must kill VIA archery equipment, can't use a gun unless its a HAM or Rifle hunt

Thanks to all, going out this weekend, my pops hasnt filled his tag yet!