Speedy

Midwesterner Heading SW

Time to revive this tread, I'm headed out west on Saturday to give it another try! Hopefully the weather will cooperate this time. Might be my last shot for awhile to cross a coues deer off the bucket list so wish me luck. I have a Javi tag again too.

Funny, growing up in the Midwest as a kid all I did was read books about the desert and the critters and plants that call it home. To this day it still fascinates me more than any other place.

Love the dedication Speedy! If I knew the Southern part of the state, I wouldn't hesitate to lend a hand or offer up some advice. Good luck this year and hope you come away with an awesome story to share!

Yeah, you and most everyone else up here!

attachicon.gifMinnesotaLakeBoastsWorldBiggestIceFishingQGg4hyZELOCl.jpg

Must be the opener.

Is that Fishing for Ducks on Lake Mille Lacs?

Might not be but sure looks like. My buddies and I participate every year. None of us have ever have caught a fish but had some fun and a little luck in the raffles. It's a huge fundraiser for Ducks Unlimited in the state.

Its an ice fishing contest in forest lake to win a truck I believe.

Update from the desert. Hunting is very slow in the Santa Rita's. I've only seen 3 does and no javi since Saturday. Doesn't seem to be much sign either so not sure what's up. At least it's warm. Was -17 when I left and 81 when I got to Tucson. dang near a 100 degree temp swing! I'm still acclimating to the heat, low humidity and constant sunshine.

Its an ice fishing contest in forest lake to win a truck I believe.

Update from the desert. Hunting is very slow in the Santa Rita's. I've only seen 3 does and no javi since Saturday. Doesn't seem to be much sign either so not sure what's up. At least it's warm. Was -17 when I left and 81 when I got to Tucson. dang near a 100 degree temp swing! I'm still acclimating to the heat, low humidity and constant sunshine.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Errrrr...how the heck do you kill one of these little buggers! Finally see a buck and he stops on his own at 20 yds so aimed true but he ducked anyway and the arrow bounced off his back. After a frustrating search for the arrow looked up and it was 10 feet up a tree!

He was just barely a 3x3 so not huge but he would have been a trophy for me. Also had a spike come by the same trail but I'm sticking to my goal of 3pt on one side.

I think I have it on video so will post when I get home. This makes it 3 shots at coues and no blood. Starting to think I'll never kill one.

• Like 1

I've had similar situation in reverse. I went rifle deer in central Wisc. past several yrs. you get one buck tag and several does tags. we went 3 yrs without even shooting a doe!

hang in there- lots of close calls means your doing most things right . just need that one time for it to be -"TAGIING TIME"

I have managed small bucks the last 2 yrs in wisc. but both were the dreaded crossbow season.

I passed on the rifle season - unless you like - 0 degrees hunts to single digit

the end oct. first Nov. in wisc. is great - though we did get an early snow- lol

so never knowing what the weather will do - is nation wide.

Wow! Talk about a close call! Excited to see the footage.

Sounds like you're doing the right things especially seeing you're getting to 20 yards. Patience kills. It's only a matter of time. Go get 'em!

Errrrr...how the heck do you kill one of these little buggers! Finally see a buck and he stops on his own at 20 yds so aimed true but he ducked anyway and the arrow bounced off his back. After a frustrating search for the arrow looked up and it was 10 feet up a tree!

He was just barely a 3x3 so not huge but he would have been a trophy for me. Also had a spike come by the same trail but I'm sticking to my goal of 3pt on one side.

I think I have it on video so will post when I get home. This makes it 3 shots at coues and no blood. Starting to think I'll never kill one.

Sounds like you're doing a good job to me

Here's the video of the miss that I'll be crying over for a long time. It's from a GoPro mounted on my recurve bow so you can't see the arrow in flight due vibration but at the end you can see where I found it! He didn't stop on his own as I thought so it appears he heard or saw me draw which is a sure indication he was going to jump but I was too busy picking a spot to notice. You can tell by how fast he took off that he was moving well before my 180 fps arrow got there. After this I saw him again 2 days later taking a wide berth around the same blind. That ended up being the last deer I saw on this trip! In total I might have seen a dozen deer the entire 7 days but I never got bored. Back home I would have given up after 3 days! Never went after javi either as coues was the priority.

Darn these Coues deer are so frustrating, but at the same time fascinating enough to sit for days just to see one. I had fun just being there and despite the lack of deer I'm still determined as ever to get one of these little buggers with my recurve. I want to thank everyone for all the help and encouragement especially oneshot who's the only other person I know crazy enough to chase these hypersensitive deer with a traditional bow.

• Like 1

Very cool video, Speedy! You know that deer is CLOSE when it looks close on a GoPro cam!

It definitely fuels the fire to get back down there next season for a shot at redemption.

I setup the GoPro 5 with narrow field of view which looks more realistic. The actual shot distance was around 20 yards. Close, but not close enough?

I used to shoot an old Martin Tiger round wheel bow at 210 fps and was busted more than one well inside of 20 yards from sounds off the bow.