akak510

Two-Way Radio Suggestions

I am looking to buy some good two-way radios to use hunting in multiple terrain types (thick woods, mountains, flat). They will be used anywhere from 25 yds to 5-6 miles. I have read lots of reviews and it looks like there are mixed messages on most models. Please give me an idea of what works for you and what to steer clear of. I do realize they are illegal in some states and if used it excludes you from record books if applicable. Thanks.

5-6 miles you might need a repeater tower? I use some kenwoods, same ones I use for work. I can get 2-3 miles out of them maybe 4 if it's a clear line of sight, no hills. I know my pac-set (radios) are about $400 each. I believe they are the Kenwood NX-210

Durahm cummunications is in north Mesa, they specialize in 2 ways.

• Like 1

If you are looking to get more than a mile in typical AZ hunting terrain go talk with someone in the business as suggested above. Frequency, output power and antenna length are all factors that will effect range. I have tried a bunch of different ones and none live up to the hype.

• Like 1

Another suggestion would be to get your HAM license, then you could talk to folks in China if there is a tower in the area.