Sign in to follow this  
AZhuntingfamily

Rosy Waterdogs?

Rosey will be tough for a while as the inflow is at 23000 FPS. If the lake really fills up this year it will be a phenomenal bite when it warms up. I would fish Apache as they keep it full and the water should remain fishable. It will take an early arrival to get one of the spots at Burnt Corral that are on the water. Have fun.

I have fished Apache one time and didnt do good at all. It wasnt during the spawn so maybe it will be different for us this year. Any thoughts on where to camp? I like to pull the boat up on the shore overnight next to our camp spot. It seems like Apache is all cliffs from what I have seen.

you can camp at burnt corral and pull your boat up. you can camp by the main ramp and park your boat in a slip, or stay in the hotel and do the same. the quality is better at apache, and you catch a lot more smallmouth than roosevelt too. i usually just drop shot roboworms on 1/8th oz weight

I'm with trphyhntr here. You can get into smallies on Rosy if ou work it right but not the numbers like you can at Apache. I'd rather catch smallies any day over bucketmouths.

We are headed up on tuesday the 14th which is spring break week for the kids around here. Maybe we will hit Apache first so we can get a good spot at burnt corral then back to windy hill later in the week to check out the LM bite.

Thanks for the input.

waterdogs are a blast. we used to seine the heck out of them in dirt tanks in unit 1 and 27. like stated earlier, you could get a thousand out of 1 tank. they work great for big ol trout as well. if a fish won't eat a waterdog, it must be a vegan

• Like 4

There are a lot of LM in Apache as well. I caught 21 last trip and two were over 4 pounds. You should have a fun trip and going mid week will help with the best camp spot.

The lil ones are awesome for Bass and Channels and the big ones are great on Flat Heads in my limited experience at Rosie...

• Like 1

If you come out of Burnt head down toward the Canyon dam. When the lake opens up significantly look to the shore line off to your right. It is the Northwestish shore. If you hit Turtle island you went to far. Off that shore you should see quite a few markers. There are several channels that run off shore out about 300yds or so. The depth you want to be in is where those channels go from 13ft or 14ft, to about 20ft or deeper. Star close and work out. Drop shot shot some Minos on 6# or so. I like 1/8 ounce but you may go to 1/4 if it's windy. That's been a great spot for me in March, good luck hope the kids get some! Apache has treated us way better than Roosevelt last 6 or so years. Since the Wallow fire.

No big deal there are alot of great spots on that lake. The one I explained to you has been an awesome prespawn spot for me. I have had great numbers on that spot, and you will be able to fish it during the week, the kids should have a ball if the bites on!

• Like 1

I know a couple of tanks in 23 that have hundreds and hundreds of water dogs.

• Like 1

Well they were all sold out of waterdogs when we went up so I got a few minnows. Took the drive to Appache past canyon lake and wow that road sucks! Live and learn I guess. We camped at burnt corral the first night (extremely crowded with people) I launched the boat early in the morning only to find out my steering was siezed up! Pulled out of Appache and headed to the mechanic by Bostons and they got me back in buisness. Decided to stick with Roosevelt the second night but had to camp down on the flats (also crowded) since my usual spot was under water. The kids hooked up with a few good smallies off minnows near the bridge for the next couple days then we called it quits. Going back up easter weekend hope to find the LM and relax a little more this time with out the crowds.

We used to always hang a monster dog off boat day or night and eventually it would find trouble! Also as Gino said the small dogs 3-4" can be amazing bait. I used to used them in late night golf course commando fishing and work them like rubber worms and could often catch 1/2 dz bass off same dog.. Eventually they are dead and still good for catfish bait so it's like recycling.