reece_mess16

Best Rifle Season (nov 25 to dec 4) units?

I'm planning my first coues rifle hunt next year and I'm trying to figure out which unit to apply for for the time frame in the subject line. Any advice on a good unit? I like to back pack in...

Thanks!

if the deer hunting calendar follows the elk hunting calendar that hunt will be Dec 1 - 10.

Just about any unit you can find hiking trails will get you away from the crowds. I backpack hunt a unit close to home, maybe try that so you can spend more time scouting.

Jeff

I'm planning my first coues rifle hunt next year and I'm trying to figure out which unit to apply for for the time frame in the subject line. Any advice on a good unit? I like to back pack in...

Thanks!

If I were you I'd hunt 33. There's big deer all over the place and they're easy to hunt there. All the other units around have bad genetics and only grow small deer that are hard to hunt.

• Like 3

Where do you live? Are you going to be hunting by yourself?

Those are primo hunts. If you want to hunt next year put in for a early or mid season rifle hunt in a southern unit. You will likely be drawn, it's beautiful country down here and there still good bucks.

If your in the military I would seriously consider putting in for Ft. Hauchuca if I were you. Only problem is I'm pretty sure they don't allow you pack in overnight I could be wrong though. Great place to hunt even if you can't pack in.

What he said. I wish I could hunt on post.

She

I am military and don't like all the rules required to hunt on base. That said if its worth it I'd consider it.

I would stay above I10 if you are solo. 33, 32

Is this due to immigration and other nefarious activity? I'm considering 32.

Yes. Safety is my number one concern. I have hunted boarder units before but never back packed alone. If you decide to go that route just be careful and keep a sidearm. If you draw 36a or b. Let me know and I will try to point you in the right direction. Same goes for 33.