J.S.R.

$2500 budget to get into long range

What gun and scope would you choose and why? Would you build a rifle or choose a factory gun? Caliber will be 300wm or 7mm rm.

ruger precision 6.5 cm and 8-32 sightron 1800-1900.00

mine hammers

if ya bump it up find a used 6.5x284 custom on gunbroker for about 1800 and a sightron 2800-2900, got a nightforce on mine and it really hammers

johnny

• Like 1

Forgot to mention I would like to be able to kill elk and extended ranges so I would prefer to keep the caliber somewhat bigger.

Forgot to mention I would like to be able to kill elk and extended ranges so I would prefer to keep the caliber somewhat bigger.

Rifles as mention above but in a 300 win mag. Im shooting 300 win mag Remington 700 26" barrel 12# gun, 208 ELD-M and pushing it right at 3,000 fps. That's good enough for elk at long range! If you want a bigger hammer for that distant, 338 Lapua, or 300 RUM will get the job done!

• Like 1

The Sendero with a good scope is a great choice. A used gun in good condition may be even better bang for the buck if you know what you are looking for and what is around.

I am working up an older Savage Tactical in 300wm right now to kind of be along these same lines. It isn't going to be a light gun, but it should be pretty accurate when I am done hopefully.

From my mid 20s to early 30s I had the archery bug real bad. I hunted everything archery, sometimes even quail. I sold my 2 hunting rifles but kept my best scope. When I decided to get back into rifle hunting I bought a Remington 700 LSS in .300 RUM. As I could afford it I built it into the rifle I wanted, HS precision stock, jewel trigger, extended magazine, shilen barrel, heavier recoil lug, lightweight striker, blueprint the action etc. The 700 has an incredible amount of aftermarket part options and is a great starting point for a custom gun. After I finished the .300 I built a lightweight 7mm-08 AI off another 700 action.

How heavy of a rifle are you willing to lug around? Is it going to primarily be a long range target rifle with the occasional hunt thrown in or a dedicated long range hunting rifle?

I personally carry lightweight rifles. They are not considered superior long range rifles, but get the job done. I understand that the heavy barrel helps with heat dissipation, but what other advantages are there to a heavy gun. I try and keep my guns as light as I can. I assume it must be easier to shoot because the extra weight is easier to control while recoiling?

LR hunting/shooting isn't an inexpensive sport. Most people forget to include a top-of-the-line rangefinder in their budget. You can't shoot it, if you don't know the range. You can get an inexpensive rangefinder to get the job done during normal conditions, but sooner or later it will disappoint you at a critical moment. If you have to skimp on something, buy the rifle last. Get your rangefinder first, then your scope. No need to spend $1500 on a scope at this point, but the $500 scopes will disappoint in short order. Buy your rifle with whatever is left over. Savage has some inexpensive models that shoot well right out of the box. Best of luck to you.