J.S.R.

$2500 budget to get into long range

I personally carry lightweight rifles. They are not considered superior long range rifles, but get the job done. I understand that the heavy barrel helps with heat dissipation, but what other advantages are there to a heavy gun. I try and keep my guns as light as I can. I assume it must be easier to shoot because the extra weight is easier to control while recoiling?

I'm with you on keeping the weight down. I run a #4 contour magnum sporter barrel on my .300 RUM. I'm not worried about heat build up, hunting you only fire hopefully once, maybe twice. Anything more and you are likely beginning to have a bad day. The heavier a rifle is the harder it is to pull it off target with minor movements when firing. I have A 7mm-08 AI that is under 7.5 lbs loaded and ready to go. It is a bit trickier to shoot well compared to my heaver rifles. Weight dose reduce recoil and make the gun easier to shoot, however it sucks when you are packing the extra weight.

Both my rifles have Schneider #5 contours. Both are fluted and ones 26" and the other is 27". I get buck fever pretty bad and I noticed the heavier the rifle the less movement I get from my heart beat and shaking hands. They finish at around 11.5-12 lbs with sling and bipod.

• Like 1

A couple of comments about heavier vs lighter. To be a good long range shooter you should be putting a lot time in at the range and heat dissipation cannot be overlooked. Also, felt recoil is greatly reduced the heavier you go. All that being said, the one I am working on now should end up under 8 pounds :)

Assuming by "extended range" you mean beyond mid-range (about 600 yds.) then what I think you want is a rifle that will reliably make first shot hits on a target the size of an elk's vital zone between 600 and 1000 yds. Certainly there are rifles, and shooters who can do this, some right here on CWT (I am not one of them). To provide a frame of reference (maybe not the best one) let's think in terms of competitive shooting on a rifle range. I shoot a rifle that is in the price range you mention. At 600 yds. (F-Class, or mid-range), I can keep my shots in the 10-ring under good conditions, after I have had two sighting shots to dial myself in. In long range shooting, you can have a lot of fun if you can keep all your hits in the black bull. You won't be competitive, as this requires being able to keep everything in the 10-ring, but at least it is good practice. At 1000 yds. I can mostly stay in the black (sometimes better), but wind changes everything in terms of calling your shots and impact on target. I am not competitive at 1000 yds. with this particular rifle.

In hunting, you don't generally take sighting shots, which means you are counting on a first round hit on target (a vital zone about the size of a football). Being able to stay in the 10-ring (even without sighters) may be good enough. Or it may not. Typically, a rifle capable of staying in the smaller X-ring would be preferable. So in considering dimensions, weight, etc. it might be possible to find something (possibly used) in your price range that with enough practice and load development, will meet your requirements.

In light of all the things that can go wrong shooting at an unwounded animal from a field position, it seems your requirement might be optimistic, and would suggest reconsideration relative to reducing the requirement of shooting an elk (or other game) at extended ranges, or else upgrading to something heavier, bulkier and likely more expensive. Like a lot of things in life, finding a rifle that suits your purpose requires some compromise, as well as honest assessment of the rifle's capabilities, and yours.

forepaw

• Like 1

What gun and scope would you choose and why? Would you build a rifle or choose a factory gun? Caliber will be 300wm or 7mm rm.

JSR you should check out my 300 Win with Huskemaw scope it's set up for 1000 yards I've got well over 3k invested if you're interested I'd be happy to let u shoot it...I recently listed for $2400

IMO, you start with the scope and a reloading setup and work backwards from there.

Forgot to mention I would like to be able to kill elk and extended ranges so I would prefer to keep the caliber somewhat bigger.

Check out my dad's 370 inch elk at 720 yards it is at the 9 minute mark

• Like 1

I'm also going to have to recommend the Sendero. I purchased mine almost 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I opted for the 300 RUM and again, am completely happy with it. I topped it with a Vortex HSLR 6-24x50 FFP mounted with Nightforce rings and picatinny rail. I also put a Kenton Industries LR Hunter turret on the scope. All in all it comes in at just a bit under $2500 for the entire setup. The first deer i took with it was at 415 yards and he took a dirt nap right where he stood. You really cannot go wrong with the Sendero regardless of which caliber you opt for.

Im new to the long range hunting, by long range I mean past 500 yards. I got into reloading and reloaded my old remington 700 30-06 and had a blast developing a load for it that I decided to purchase a "long range gun" My budget was about $1500 :( so i started looking and shopping to see if it was even possible to get a long range set up for that kind of price. The rifle I ended up getting was the remington 700 model Long Range Edition. I found it on Buds gun shop for $675. It has an m40 aluminum bedded stock with a 26" heavy barrel and a pretty decent trigger. And I topped it with a vortex viper HS LR 4-16x50 scope That I found for $500 on Ebay. I secured it with warne maxima rings and a 1 piece warne base. Total I ended up was $1,300. I developed a load with 7mm barnes 168gr LRX and I am getting 4" to 5" groupings at 700 yards, 3/4" group at 200 yards which is what I have my rifle zeroed at. The range I have set up only goes out to 700 yards but in the field I have set up milk jugs at 1,000 yards and hit consistenly at 1,000. My scope is pretty much limited out at 1100 yards but for me it works great! I shot my first coues deer with it at 340 yards last year and dont really plan to shoot anything past 700 yards and only if I HAD too. The gun is about 11 lbs. Hope this helps

• Like 1