Coues Archer

Long range scope help???

You can look into Athlon Argos which is around 350 but competes at a 500 range or look into the Athlon Midas 4.5-27x50 which is 590 dollars but all the reviews I've seen beat out the 900 dollar vortex PST 6-24x50 .

I know I keep bringing up Athlon but I got a few and they are great glass and cheaper then everyone else.

Hey Zeke-BE if you wouldn't mind I'd really appreciate some insight about this scope.

Sorry about the late response! All I know about the Argos is what you read. I bought the top tier Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 and really love it! Athlon is newer and keeping prices down while it's getting its foot in the market. There are a lot of competition shooters trying it out and really liking it. Very little negative press on these scopes and what ever market its suppose to compete with it seems like it beats them and beats their price too.

Talk to Douglas-gun-guy on the forum (Chris ) he is a dealer for Athlon. I just bought a Athlon 8x binos off him and really impressed with it.

I have a couple of luepold vx3s they track very well and have good glass. They have a great warranty and for the money are hard to beat. It is what I started with before I bought a Nightforce. I have one I can let go if you are interested. Pm me.

I have 2 of the Argos 3 - 15 with BDC 600, I bought one for a predator gun and one for my Son's rifle. I compared it to a vortex viper 6.5-20 that I have, i think the glass is clearer and better on the Argos, but the turrets on the Viper are much better. The Argos are pretty mushy. For the intended use will work good, as I won't be dialing these scopes but using the BDC Reticle.

Most guys are reviewing the Argos BTR which is more geared towards long range shooting and may have better turrets. I have a Midas BTR on the way also, once I receive it I will put a review on here.

• Like 1

I have 2 of the Argos 3 - 15 with BDC 600, I bought one for a predator gun and one for my Son's rifle. I compared it to a vortex viper 6.5-20 that I have, i think the glass is clearer and better on the Argos, but the turrets on the Viper are much better. The Argos are pretty mushy. For the intended use will work good, as I won't be dialing these scopes but using the BDC Reticle.

Most guys are reviewing the Argos BTR which is more geared towards long range shooting and may have better turrets. I have a Midas BTR on the way also, once I receive it I will put a review on here.

I let a guy use look through my scope at the range and he shoots the S& Bender. He looked through the Cronus and was impressed, He played with the turrets and liked it better then his. I tried his and they were pretty stiff and he didn't like it. I don't mind the turret but there is a YouTube video of a guy complained about the mush as well. He took the turret off and discovered that Athlon cakes the crap out of their turrets with grease. He wiped it off and put another gun grease on and the clicks are loud, noticeable, and solid. He demonstrates it on the video.

• Like 1

If the turrets turn to easy it can cause problems. Read "Rookie long range shooting mistake" for an excellent example of this. When I was looking for my first nice scope I rejected the MK-4 ER/T because I felt the turrets moved to easily.

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback! Awesome to find people who are willing to go out of there way for a helping hand. It's safe to say that Iam not gonna go with the nikon bUT rather the Athlon, seems to be a good buy for this moment in time. Once again thank you all for the advice I GREATLY appreciate everyone's response.

• Like 1

Just remember, the Buckmaster is the lower end of Nikon and the Monarch is the higher end. I have a Monarch 3x9 on my 270 WSM and love it. Killed a speed goat at 517 and it worked great. After that range I can be of no more help. Also, I bought mine on ebay. I saved about $200. They sold in stores for $370+ and I got it for $195.

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback! Awesome to find people who are willing to go out of there way for a helping hand. It's safe to say that Iam not gonna go with the nikon bUT rather the Athlon, seems to be a good buy for this moment in time. Once again thank you all for the advice I GREATLY appreciate everyone's response.

Do a write up on it and tell us what you think!

Buy nice or buy twice or something like that.

• Like 1

Save your money look into the gen new vortex viper they just came out with or a Burris Xtr both awesome scopes for the 1000 dollar range and both ffp. I would not trust dialing a Nikon up and down over and over

Good glass is always a major consideration. But as some have suggested, repeatability should also be right up there. If you dial up and then dial back down because you did not take or make the shot, future shot placement may be in the toilet if your scope did not return you to your initial point of impact. There have been several great write-ups about the various scopes and the functions. Look at a couple of episodes in the Sniper101 series on youtube.com. Another great source of how scopes stack up against each other can be found on snipershide.com. Good luck in your search.