Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Snow damage

The shelter I built to keep my camper out of the elements crashed today under the weight of heavy snow. Fun day for sure.

post-478-0-22045200-1485316235.jpg

post-478-0-97568400-1485316328.jpg

post-478-0-70879600-1485316329.jpg

Thanks guys. So far the damage to the trailer isn't near as bad as I imagined when I got the call from my son about the collapse. Some patching up to do but so far it doesn't appear there was any structural damage. Gonna need a new A/C unit for sure.

My ATV trailer is right under the brunt of the fall but it's a lot easier to work on. Crazy how it collapsed, but the dirt here under the snow is basically a swamp right now.

• Like 1

Shoulda consulted that civil engineer after all.

I know how you feel, Coach. When I opened our cabin in Greer, I arrived to find a huge ponderosa about 30 inches in diameter and 40 or more feet tall had fallen over the winter. It could have gone in any other direction without damaging a thing, but it chose to fall square in the middle of our pump house! Fortunately, our pressure tank and well head somehow survived.

Bill Quimby

Forgot to say this happened four years ago. I've since hauled off the tree and built a larger pumphouse with a carport using money from our homeowner's insurance and my own labor and cash. Hope you will be as lucky, Coach.

Did you have it designed, or was it a "I think maybe this is good enough" type of project? There are some pretty good tables with snow loads available online that can help with projects like that when an engineer is not involved. I used to do NDS Wood Design Calcs a million years ago...not sure I'd be able now, but if touhave any questions let me know. Have a lot of engineers I can poke for the fun of it.

As much as I hate to admit it, it was a "I think maybe this is good enough". We got pretty lucky actually. Overall damage was pretty minimal - considering what it could have been. I appreciate all the input.