MidwestWT

Favorite Headlamp

I've used several different kinds of headlamps, from cheap to expensive. On a wildfire assignment once, I realized I'd forgotten to pack mine, so I grabbed a $12 or $15 Energizer at quick Walmart stop en route. Turned into one of my favorite headlamps ever and its a fraction of the price of Black Diamond, Petzel, and others I've used. I have one on my nightstand, one in my hunting pack, and one in my turkey vest.

• Like 2

I have a black diamond as well, I'm happy with it. I have a couple of cheap ones in my trunk and laying around as backups. They've all worked great- can't tell the difference.

Since I only use them around camp or roadsides, I don't spend too much... Instead, I'd spend the extra money on batteries.

I have been using several from Streamlight depending on the application. The Portacarreo HL is crazy bright and I use it most of the time. I did see a new one at Shot Show this year I'm going to get call ed the Bandit. It has one single long led in the front that is bright and similar to a flood light. I think it would be great for hiking in the mornings. David

http://www.streamlight.com/products/explore-products/headlamps

Princeton Tec Sync. Yes, the AAA batteries last a very long time. Lightweight, multiple brightness settings along with a red light setting.

• Like 1

the best headlight is the one you always have on you, I have several of them but a couple of times I ended up on the side of a hill in the dark without one in my pack, but I always have this in my pocket, clips on to my hat brim, takes a single AA and provides plenty of light for humping off a hill in slap dark

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/225626/gerber-infinity-ultra-task-flashlight-led-with-1-aa-battery-aluminum-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Self-Defense+-+Lights+-+Flashlights-_-Gerber-_-225626&gclid=CM75naSb4dECFQx9fgodkZ0Crw

I seem to break or lose one every couple of years. My current one is hands down the best one I have used thus far.

Streamlight Trident in the Buckmaster Camo edition

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-61070-BuckMasters-Trident-Headlamp/dp/B000PWDEIS/ref=pd_sim_469_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3VHYGG3PF4WQPS9PR5VX

Have/Had Black Diamond, Petzl, Princeton headlamps.

Have streamlight and surefire flash lights. My wife & family claim I'm a flashlight hoarder.

Still fell in love with the Bushnell rechargeable headlamp. I carry it everywhere. Bought more than one and use it from hunt, fishing to walking the dog or truck repairs.

I know they licensed the Bushnell name (which originally turned me away as cheap) but the company making this model has some good products. Maybe they use Fenix factories in China. Also have their rechargeable 600 lumen handheld rechargeable and like it a lot. Check them out. Can't find a better headlamp for <$30.

PS. I have a dozen energizer AAA flashlights of various styles. Great for the price. I have three boys and they all hunt & fish. So 3x headlamps each is about right use and backup during our adventures. They lose or distroy them way too often.

I enjoy reading everyone's post. Going to checkout the Streamlight Bandit for ultra small rechargeable pocket headlamp. I use my cell phone battery backup on USB rechargeable headlamps. It works great. Have spare juice for my phone & light. It's worth the weight.