photofool

wolves in town

Those who say you would shoot, shovel and shut up if you came upon a wolf need to realize the penalty for shooting a wolf in Arizona is beyond severe. If found and convicted, you would be subject to prison time, a huge fine and the loss of certain rights, including the right to vote and own/possess firearms. It isn't worth it.

Bill Quimby

$50,000 reward for arrest and conviction with over 36 wolves shot..... come on.. nobody has that good of friends. The first time they try and convict somebody a DNA test will be demanded and that will be the end of the hybrid program.

• Like 1

Those who say you would shoot, shovel and shut up if you came upon a wolf need to realize the penalty for shooting a wolf in Arizona is beyond severe. If found and convicted, you would be subject to prison time, a huge fine and the loss of certain rights, including the right to vote and own/possess firearms. It isn't worth it.

Bill Quimby

Its only illegal if you get caught right? Haha but in all seriousness yes the penalties are severe so make sure you cover up all the evidence ;)

Thers not much that a nice size stack of pine logs, a couple gallons of diesel fuel and a 99 cent bic lighter wont cover up.

• Like 1

Bill Quimby

$50,000 reward for arrest and conviction with over 36 wolves shot..... come on.. nobody has that good of friends. The first time they try and convict somebody a DNA test will be demanded and that will be the end of the hybrid program.

Your saying that 36 wolves have been shot and not one conviction yet?

Bill Quimby

On March 6th and 8th 2000,James Rodgers from Eager, Az. and a juvenile were charged with the killing of a wolf pretty sure james was convicted but I can't find the punishment.

Bill Quimby

On March 6th and 8th 2000,James Rodgers from Eager, Az. and a juvenile were charged with the killing of a wolf pretty sure james was convicted but I can't find the punishment.
Food for thought.......

https://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ref=two-charged-in-wolf-killing&_ID=5307

they get shot a lot more than FWS wants to admit. anyone that has seen a good number of them will agree they look a LOT like a good sized coyote. they are not very big at all. from the 20 or 30 that i have seen, they look to be in the 50-80lb range is all. really have to do a double take not to mix them up with a coyote. a would guess that most that are killed are done so by a case of mistaken identity.

• Like 1

Bill Quimby

Food for thought.......

https://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ref=two-charged-in-wolf-killing&_ID=5307

so did they get convicted though? i wouldnt do it, too risky

they get shot a lot more than FWS wants to admit. anyone that has seen a good number of them will agree they look a LOT like a good sized coyote. they are not very big at all. from the 20 or 30 that i have seen, they look to be in the 50-80lb range is all. really have to do a double take not to mix them up with a coyote. a would guess that most that are killed are done so by a case of mistaken identity.

My family and I were out coyote calling, wife and four boys.......wife and the youngest would stay in the rig and play games while the rest of us tried to call coyotes.

We were driving along a two tracker road and my wife spots a "coyote" in the middle of a meadow area, my oldest son bails out jumps the fence and sneaks up behind a tree to try and get a shot off.

He chambers a round into his rifle, steps out......click...........

My wife who had the binoculars hollers at him.....don't shoot it has a collar!!!!

Luckily, my son had run over the top of the bullet and it hadn't truly chambered otherwise we would have been in the middle of the what do I do now scenario.

Sad thing is, it really did look like a coyote and it would not run off......it was not afraid of our encounter!!!

Ive only seen them once but the size was right in line with what you're saying. I was surprised that they were so small, not at all like the big ones you see pictures of from up north.

Kinda long legged and a bit gangly looking.

I can see how people could mistake them for coyotes from a distance, but theyre pretty easily distinguishable up close.

They have been in 23 for a while now .... unfortunately

Walking into my spot in the dark at 4am for my elk hunt I heard a calf elk getting taken down. Freakiest sound I ever heard. Thought it was coyotes, but could have been wolves.

So the things to learn from the story is don't cross state lines and violate the Lacey Act. $25,000 fine and up to 6 months in jail for killing an endangered species. Add $100,000 and a year for violating the Lacey Act. If more than one person knows, it is not a secret. Have a throw away gun and throw it away where it can't be found. Since the article mentioned was from 2000 here is a more recent one.

http://www.wildearthguardians.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8579#.WI-wdhScHw8

• Like 1

This is my friend Dean Warren who was attacked by these sweet little wolves. I went up a week later and met him and the wolf recovery lady. She admitted at camp that they were half breed dogs.

http://citizenreviewonline.org/since-wolves-were-reintroduced-some-eastern-arizona-ranchers-claim-the-animals-have-destroyed-their-lives/

• Like 1

I saw one in the meadow before you get Reservation Lake. It took off running and then I thought to myself that is a really big coyote I wish I had my gun on me, and after a while I couldnt be sure if that was a coyote or not. If it was, it was the biggest coyote i've seen.