creed

13 BP's and don't know what to do with them.

I have 13 bonus points going into this draw and that's enough to put me in the bonus round archery hunts in several units. 3B north and south first hunt, 4B, 10, 18A and 21.

Private property issues are an issue with me. I like hunting public land. Anyone familiar with access problems in 4B? Are there antelope on public land in 4B? I was through part of the unit once but that is it.

I drew 18A years ago when it was combined with 10 and 18B and it had issues in some of the better antelope country back then. It's closer to home but I am reluctant to put in for it.

A friend told me that 21 is a waste of good bonus points. Any truth to that?

Lots of dumb questions I know but inquiring minds need to know this stuff before blowing 13 hard earned bonus points.

I have 13 bonus points going into this draw and that's enough to put me in the bonus round archery hunts in several units. 3B north and south first hunt, 4B, 10, 18A and 21.

Private property issues are an issue with me. I like hunting public land. Anyone familiar with access problems in 4B? Are there antelope on public land in 4B? I was through part of the unit once but that is it.

I drew 18A years ago when it was combined with 10 and 18B and it had issues in some of the better antelope country back then. It's closer to home but I am reluctant to put in for it.

A friend told me that 21 is a waste of good bonus points. Any truth to that?

Lots of dumb questions I know but inquiring minds need to know this stuff before blowing 13 hard earned bonus points.

I think I recall seeing an absolute monster from 21 not long ago.

i wouldnt put in for 3b. especially 3b north. cant you get unit 1 with 13 points

Going from last year's numbers it took 14 to get into the bonus round. 18B would be my first choice but it took 14 to get into the bonus round last year with it too.

18B, I haven't had a tag in years but take a run out to Goodwin Mesa to size up the herd. Bonus is tons of quail on the way back in

4B has a lot of those 40 acre ranchettes north of the forest boundary all the way and north of Hutch Rd. I believe they are posted private property and/or no hunting. They're on the western part of the unit, hugging Chevelon Canyon.

Further north all the way to The Territorial/McLaws Road is wide open with good antelope country. Easy access.

• Like 1

18B, I haven't had a tag in years but take a run out to Goodwin Mesa to size up the herd. Bonus is tons of quail on the way back in

One of my favorite places. I planned on going up there this spring just to look at the flowers.

I wouldnt waste them on 21. I have a couple friends that have drawn an archery tag 5 times between them in the last 10 years . One 3 tags the other 2 tags.

Plenty of public land in 4B. Easy access. I would not let access issues deter you from 4B. 21 has some great antelope hunting, but the #'s are down when compared to other units. There are always a few jumbo's that come out of 21 tho. Unit 10 is unit 10, tons of goats, lots of hunters and lots of land to hunt. If It were me, I go 21 because it is closer to my house, and I would be able to get out more if I were not able to take the whole 2 weeks off. I could run out after work and be in antelope in less than an hour from the valley.

• Like 1

First time I ever applied for a rifle antelope hunt I drew with only the hunter ed point. There were four of us on the application and we were the first ones drawn after the then 10% pool. I have drawn archery antelope tags with 6 points.

Archery tags in NM as a nonresident are easier to draw. It's just a long way from home and getting scouting time is a PITA.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and applied for the 7 and 18B archery hunts. Likely will just acquire another point.

I had a unit 1 archery tag about 12 years ago. I got skunked but still had a great time. Lots of action. The weather up there in early September is also much nicer than something like 21.

I have had NM tags and got assigned to a public land ranch that was 10 x 10 to 12 x 12 miles square. If you are limited to 100 to 150 square miles there is not much need to scout like you would if you had a whole unit available to you.

Has anyone taken the screen name "point collector"?

• Like 1