Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Ox-tail Stew

Guest oneshot

Not "wild" food, but something different, rich in flavour, can be made in one pot and one of the Gf's favourite dishes(as I try to shorten that honey-do list, I've found if she is happly fed, my life is MUCH easyer hahaha)...

Roast Ox-tail,3pounds, cut into 2-3inch pieces, un-seasoned/no oil ,in oven safe pot for 2hours at 375, turning over the chunks a couple of times...

Remove from oven, add a handfull of flour, stir, add diced white onion(1)/celery(1bunch)/carrots(1bunch)/leeks(2), salt/black pepper/rosemarry/ginger/all-spice/oregano/bay leaves, 2cups of redwine/Burgundy, some tomato sauce, water to cover...

Cover pot and return to oven, at 350 for 3or4 hours, untill meat pulls off the bones...(add wine/water as needed)

Hold Ox-tail with tongs and with a fork pull off meat, discard the bones and it's ready to serve...

A handfull of barley is a traditional addition to Ox-tail stew if you want a more authentic dish...

post-1378-0-93827500-1486239249_thumb.jpg

I'm going to buy a case of oxtail from a wholeseller I deal with. I will see how much they go for and how many lbs are in a case. I might be interested in splitting it up

• Like 1

I love ox tails. We ate is nearly every week when I was growing up. Probably because it was very inexpensive back then. Like mentioned above it now costs more than good steak.

That's what my momma made.

• Like 1

Not "wild" food, but something different, rich in flavour, can be made in one pot and one of the Gf's favourite dishes(as I try to shorten that honey-do list, I've found if she is happly fed, my life is MUCH easyer hahaha)...

Roast Ox-tail,3pounds, cut into 2-3inch pieces, un-seasoned/no oil ,in oven safe pot for 2hours at 375, turning over the chunks a couple of times...

Remove from oven, add a handfull of flour, stir, add diced white onion(1)/celery(1bunch)/carrots(1bunch)/leeks(2), salt/black pepper/rosemarry/ginger/all-spice/oregano/bay leaves, 2cups of redwine/Burgundy, some tomato sauce, water to cover...

Cover pot and return to oven, at 350 for 3or4 hours, untill meat pulls off the bones...(add wine/water as needed)

Hold Ox-tail with tongs and with a fork pull off meat, discard the bones and it's ready to serve...

A handfull of barley is a traditional addition to Ox-tail stew if you want a more authentic dish...

I bought about 3 1/2 pounds today. I will season them tonight and work on cooking them tomorrow.